Flush trim bit burning template

I am new to the world of templates and flush trim router bits. With that said, my problem is that the bearing spins with the router bit and burns the heck out of my MDF templates. Is this supposed to happen or is the bearing supposed to turn independantly? If this is supposed to happen how do I keep it from burning up the edges on my templates. It's a Bosch flush trim bit I bought at Lowe's

Thanks for any help. Darrin

Reply to
dlo

dlo wrote: > that > said, my problem is that the bearing spins with the router bit and burns the > heck out of my MDF templates.

Put a little 3 in 1 oil in the bearing.

It should turn freely.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Independently.

If this is supposed to happen how do I

You can tighten/loosen the bearing on most router bits, usually with an Allen wrench. If you can't on this one, you need to get it replaced.

Reply to
Swingman

No, it should *not* spin with the bit.

It will however, spin with the bit *until* you bring the bearing into contact with the template edge. At the point of contact there will be a

*small* amount of abrasion/burning of the template until the bearing stops spinning.

If your bearing is not free to turn (or not) independently of the bit, then either it is defective or the attaching screw is too tight or the shoulder washer is on backwards, etc. If it's a brand new bit, take it back and get one that works properly.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Toewe