template routing problem

Hi all, my current project is building a cherry cradle based upon the

pattern.

To cut the curves, I've made templates using MDF and I'm using the 2" depth,

1/2" diameter, 1/2" shank laminate flush trimming bit from Lee Valley. Most of the pieces are just under 1" thick. During the routing process, when I go from end grain to straight grain, I'm getting some serious chipout. Two questions. First, is my choice of router bits appropriate? Secondly, should I climb cut these areas to reduce the chipout?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Regards, Chris Corbett

Reply to
chrisacorbett

Chris Corbett

It would seem to be a good choice. By the way, how sharp is the bit?

Give it a try on some scrap but be warned, you will/may have some loss of control, i.e., hold on tight.

Band saw as close to the line as possible then rout off what's left. The less you rout the less your router will grab the grain.

Oh, and you will have to sand after routing. No getting away from it.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Chris says:>Hi all, my current project is building a cherry cradle based upon the

I've had luck by inverting the workpiece, and attaching the template to the other side when the grain presents a problem.That, or turn the whole thing over, and use a bit with a bearing on the bottom. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Get the June issue of FWW. There is an article in there about template routing and covers exactly what you're asking.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

I found a solution that works for me. I bought a spiral pattern bit. It cost much more than the regular flush trimming bit. But it caused much less chipout. It caused less burning of the cherry as well. Now, I just have to figure out how to glue the sawdust back together for wood that I ruined. :)

Reply to
chrisacorbett