Pattern routing problem

I'm building an English garden bench out of redwood. To cut the curved pieces (legs and arms) I do the following:

  1. created clean templates of curved pieces out of 1/4" tempered hardboard,
  2. traced the pattern outline on the piece,
  3. rough cut to within 1/8" of the outline using a jigsaw (do not own a BS)
  4. attach template using double face tape to top of rough cut piece.
  5. Use 2" flush trim bit (top pilot) on router table to trim to pattern.

The problem I am having is that when I do the flush trimming, it trims

95% of the time OK but occasionally, I get chipout and chunks are taken out of the piece along the edge I am routing flush to the template.

The lumber is kiln dried clear all heart (CAH) redwood that is dimensioned lumber (1 1/2" thick). It is beautiful wood (but expensive), very soft, and seems very dry and splinters easily.

I take the trimming operation very slowly but still get the problem. The bit is a 1/2" shank, dual flute, 2" flush trim bit Rockler house brand. I've even tried climb cutting but the operation is very difficult.

Either it is my technique or just a result of this wood species. Maybe kiln dried redwood heartwood is just too frail for this type of operation. The plans called for using a bandsaw to cut to shape -- using the pattern and flush trim bit is my idea.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry, is there anything about the design that necessitates pattern-routed precision? Could you just cut to the line, sand the edges smooth, and call it done? Sounds like the routing is more trouble that it's worth.

You could also use the RoboSander - a bearing guided sanding drum. Woodcraft sells them.

Reply to
kkfitzge

Reply to
Jody

I do a lot of pattern routing, but not with the setup you describe. I've never had much luck with it. I use a 1/2" bit with a bushing in a router table... ____ | | _______________ 1/2" straight bit -> | || | || __| ||______________

Reply to
Joe Barta

Or buy one of these

Reply to
joedog90045

great for me. Dave

Teamcasa

Thanks for all of your replies. I see my problem as trying to cut into the grain with a wood that is already prone to chip-out.

Excellent ideas. Flipping the pattern to the other side to continue to cut with the grain is probably the easiest. I like the robosander on my DP idea. With 50 grit on redwood, it would cut like a router bit.

Whiteside as a spiral flush cut bit but at $70, an expensive solution and would probably still cause tearout unless a backer board was used.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Reply to
Jerry

Consider also simply back cutting in the areas that the grain is prone to chip out. This is standard procedure when routing end grain on drawer fronts.

Reply to
Leon

I am not the original poster, but I thank you for the link. That is a fantastic idea.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

Even better is to use a shaper. Reverse the motor and the cutter.

Reply to
Toller

I am not a shaper user and am curious why this is better. This bit I linked, own and use a lot couldn't be simpler to use just raise and lower with my router lift.

Reply to
joedog90045

I do this a lot. You generally go around the piece counterclockwise. When I get to a place where the grain is ending, such as at a curve, I feed backwards in small bites. When it is very close to flush I feed the proper direction. I think feeding back wards is called climb cutting. The blade has to be very sharp to cut end grain and you have to have a very steady hand and take small bites. max

Reply to
max