Template Bandsawing

Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full

1.5 inches of depth?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

bandsaws do inside corners fine, but they don't leave a great surface. I'd probably bandsaw 1/8" oversize, clean up with the router and get the corners with a chisel.

what are you making?

Reply to
bridger

I would not use cutter that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -

Routerman P. Warner

I flipped the piece and used it as its own template for the second pass when I needed a pattern on 2" stock.

George

>I used the LV duplicator to make 6 sets out of 1/4" baltic birch plywood of the following manipulatives for handwriting instruction:

made a master template of each of the curved pieces, as perfect as possible, then cut the sets out 4 at a time with the double-sided tape that came with the duplicator. Worked incredibly well, left a great finish (started with a new 1/4" Timberwolf). All 144 pieces cut out, sanded (in stacks of 4) and finished with BLO in 2 work sessions...

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Reply to
Michael Latcha

Jay, A few years ago I got the same 'duplicator' from Hartville Tool. If anyone can get it to work on anything but a STRAIGHT cut, or VERY GENTLE curve . . . let me know how.

I got it so I could make 8 cornices for a pergola-like Rose Arbor I was making for Joanne. All it did for me was ruin the template {originally made for drawing/routing}. It wouldn't follow the curve and cut off a corner before I realized it.

The only 'technique' that seems to make 'engineering sense' is the simple jig {the blade is 'captured' in a notch at the end of a rounded piece of flat stock} illustrated in any number of bandsaw manuals. Chapter 5 in Duginske's 'Band Saw' book, for example.

- - -

Reply to
Ron Magen

Decorative right angle supports for under the eaves of a building. They're going to be a full 3" thick, which complicates things a bit.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Jay - my ISP's news is only current during the day, so excuse what appears a piggyback.

If you're going to go a full 3", as your most recent post says, and you have an Oscillating Spindle Sander, you can pattern sand your bandsawn roughs. I made an insert for my JET which takes the inserts used for a router and found it a pretty good way to go. Down into the 1/2" spindle size, though.

Reply to
George

Could you please explain in a little more detail how you "pattern sand" using an OSS? It looks like I'll have to make a ring to sit above the table that the template can ride against. Problem is, it will have to be bigger than the spindle itself, right?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique