Veritas® Base Plate/Table Insert

Has anyone used the Veritas® Base Plate/Table Insert from Lee Valley Tools. I have a DW621 and want to use it in a table and this device allows you to put the router in the table from underneath as well as functioning as a permanent base plate and a table insert. This basically allows you to put the router in the table without having to do anything but pop it into the table from underneath.

marksrob

Works for me. Note, however, that the guides are not standard PC size, and should be purchased separately to get full function.

My "table" is a open-sided box that I clamp onto a Workmate, and stores under my belt/disc sander to stay out of the way in my cramped quarters.

George

Worked perfectly fine for me. Took about 30 minutes in total to install/setup. Instructions are clear, and works as promised. Kinda what you expect from LV though isn't it?

Marc Rheaume

I will go purchase today. How was the effort of drilling holes for the router. Do they give you a template. What is a trammel bar?

Reply to
marksrob

fine for me. Ditto on the guides...if you need guides, buy the ones made to go with the unit.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Todd,

How do you find it stand alone.

Reply to
marksrob

You mean just as a handheld? Well, the only thing I've needed a router for since I got this required guide bushings which (I haven't taken my own advice) I don't have for this unit. For that application, which I needed a plunge router for, I had to swap my old base back. But, I'm planning to get the bushings, so that will be a moot point in the future. I also have a PC890 for non-plunge activities.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Todd,

As a complete newbie to routing. I need some advice. I want to use a table and be able to switch back and forth to a handheld quickly. I would like to use this base to improve stability when handheld. I plan to use it for edge routing some mortises and tenons the odd dado. I don't plan on much template routing cept for using a to bearing bit and doing template routing that way. What are your suggestions.Will this plate work for me. I also plan on building a table out of an old countertop. White laminate on 3/4 composite board.

All this is planned if my new black lab pup will allow me. She is 8 weeks and is very demanding.

Regards Mark

Reply to
marksrob

You want the guides. Among other things, they help with dados and sliding dovetails.

The big base works fine for other appropriate use, though since buying the dovetailer Bosch, the Hitachi pretty much stays in the table.

Reply to
George

Trammel bar was not discussed by others. It's a bar with a pivot point on one end, router on the other, used for cutting the circle for mounting. Hint on cutting the circle - it's easier to shim up a spot than it is to perpetually contend with a base or point of base proud of the surface of your table- make it a touch deeper than needed rather than risk it.

The router is your template. You really do need use of a drillpress, though.

Reply to
George

As another said, it's best if you have a drill press or at least a drill guide that can ensure a hole that's perpendicular to the surface.

You get everything you need. You obviously need to supply the drill bits and router bits, but they provide a template and other fiddly bits. You get a countersinking bit for the screw holes as well.

There are several thingies supplied with the trammel bar. It is drilled with several holes. One is a large centering hole, two are for positioning drill holes. The table top preparation is based on using this trammel bar to position all the holes and then to act as an arm for the router to cut its own hole in the table top.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I find it difficult to drill the holes accurately even with a drill press and have to asked LV to send me another plate. Ideally get a template to drill the holes, for the router you are using rather than playing around with the plastic sheet provided. If you plan to use router bits larger than 1-1/2", you will have problems. Other than that I have no complain, the instructions are clear, concise and everything you need are provided.

Reply to
WD

you believe this:

"This is easy; but if you make an error, we will give you another base plate free of charge. "

I sure as hell wish LV would branch out into other merchandise and markets, like Automobiles, Cable TV, Mail Delivery...

Reply to
patrick conroy

I got my base plate replaced when I drilled the holes out of aligment. I really appreciate LV for replacing the base plate immediately and without questions. That is why I would rather buy Viking rather than Timberwolf's bandsaw blades.

Reply to
WD

I got the holes lined up okay, but found the plate (this was several years ago) was _not_ flat. Was using this in a table with an Incra setup, and it was way out (was long ago; I'll guess >.02 maybe). Veritas couldn't find any spec for this, and sent me another plate, which was as bad as the first. I seem to recall it was dished in the center. Ended up using a power sander to get it close, then finished with a sheet of paper.

Once that was done, all worked fine, and I've used that for over 5 years now. Also have their collars, and it's very easy to pop in and out of the table. Ended up flattening the other plate also, then drilling it out to accept larger bits.

I set the t>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:34:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote: >

Reply to
GerryG