Alignment Problems: Veritas Router Base Plate / Table Insert

Well, it looks like I'll be one of the ones needing a second base plate sent to me.

I just finished installing the plate on a PC690 and it was off-center by just enough to make the 1/4" insert not fit around my 1/4" straight router bit. Poor eyesight and shaky hands played a large role, I'm sure.

However, I'm wondering if there's a better way to skin this cat... (Disclaimer: Not my idea.) What if I somehow clamped the plate and the

1/4" insert to the bottom of the router and then lowered a chamfering bit into it to pull things into alignment and then (somehow) was able to mark the base plate through the existing screw holes in the router base itself?

Has anyone done this? Does it sound feasible? I googled a bit but apparently not enough. Thanks all, I'm going to bed so don't be miffed if I don't respond immediately to your replies if there are any.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique