Need some advice

Wreckers,

I'm working on a (two-piece) hutch for SWMBO, and I've been considering the options for joining the bottom/frame to the top unit. (Note: I'm not talking about attaching the flat surface to the base unit; that's something I always do with glue-blocks.)

I DAGS and found the usual options. Use a connector on the back (figure-eight or the "stacking connector" like LV carries), use a dowel-pin and let gravity do its job, or use a cleat or fastener to attach from the inside. I had also considered cutting mortise into the top of the base unit and tenoning the frame members of the top to fit, but that seems like a lot of work for very little advantage to be gained.

So, do any of youse have actual experience with the various methods? Would you care to point out some gotchas to be aware of or simply suggest your favorite options?

At this point I'm leaning a bit towards the connector method, and maybe cutting some molding to dress up (i.e., *cover* up) where the two units meet. But I'm struggling a bit with it because I tend to be a traditionalist (read: Neanderthal) and use metal fasteners only as a last resort.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

The "traditional" method, at least what I see most of around here, is to simply let gravity/friction do the job with two piece furniture like hutches. AAMOF, we have two hutches in the house, factory made and not inexpensive, and both went with this philosophy, with nothing but gravity and friction to "join" them..

That said, I used trim along the sides of the piece, attached to the bottom unit only, on my last similar two piece project ... mainly to help keep alignment, as it had drawers and there was a tendency to move backward with the closing of the drawers.

My preference is that if there is no need for joining the pieces, as above, I go with the simplest (read gravity) method consistent with the design of the piece.

Just my tuppence ...

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote: [snip]

AAMOF, we have two hutches in the house, factory made and not

Unless you live in earthquake country, then plate steel and screws make practical sense. Not only does one join the two pieces together but it is also fastened to the wall. DAMHIKT. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Dear Cro-Magnon person:

I have a workbench with a 1 3/4" maple top joined to the botom by gravity and located by dowels. For everything except the most vigorous hand planing it's just fine, and then it just walks a little but doesn't separate. A hutch is subject to rather less force, so why not let nature rule? I'm also building a two-piece unit, in this case a stereo cabinet. I plan to let Mr. Einstein's gravity do the work here as well. What could be more natural?

Disclaimer: I have used tailed tools in the commission of this project. Will a security guard come and kneel on my chest?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

You're right of course and the correction is duly noted .. we do not take that into account around here, but I sure would were I somehow living voluntarily on a fault zone. :)

AAMOF, the last earthquake we had here in Houston was when Betty Sue and Billy Bob tried to steal a tire from Leon about twenty years ago.

;>)

Reply to
Swingman

I'm working on a similar piece. I was figuring on using screws from beneath.

Reply to
bridger

Newton?

I like the dowel or figure 8 fasteners.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

As refined and improved by 'ol Albert, the Master.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:13:29 GMT, "Bob Schmall" calmly ranted:

Yeah, the discoverer of fig bars also discovered gravity and Uncle Al thought up all sorts of new things to do with it, and electrons, and light, and energy. Cool dude, too.

See the movie I.Q. for the details. (Matthau, Ryan, Robbins)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

|On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:13:29 GMT, "Bob Schmall" |calmly ranted: | |>

|>As refined and improved by 'ol Albert, the Master. | |Yeah, the discoverer of fig bars also discovered gravity

And all along I thought Lucy discovered gravity about 3.5 million years ago when she fell out of a tree. Go figure.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Chuck

I've done 4 or 5 two piece cabinets for clients. Although gravity is probably sufficient, I never want to have a client phone me up to say that someone has knocked the top piece off. So, I use threaded inserts in the bottom of the top cabinet. I use knock-down bolts (the ones with a thin head that use an allen key) that go through the bottom cabinet. The boltheads sit in holes countersunk into the inside surface of the bottom cabinet's top. I've found this to be an easy to do and very strong way to connect two part cabinets.

dp

Reply to
David E. Penner

It's all going to depend on whether you want to make it so it can be dismantled or not. Here's a few links to keep the dismantling option if you want to go that route. I'm sure Lee Valley Tools has more hardware available that could suit your purpose, but I found these with a five minute search.

used for hanging things, but could be jury rigged for lateral movement. Orient them properly and it would only come apart if the top part moved backwards and the chances of it happening would be minimize if the unit was flush against the wall.
down hardware
Biscuits - Pretty innovative actually
Cane Joins - One section would have to be a through bolt

Upscale

Stephen Hawking? The modern day scientific iconoclast.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Naah--strictly establishment. ;-) The latest Discover magazine is devoted exclusively to Einstein, and it's a winner.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I tend to just use gravity unless there is a push/pull force, from use, on the upper section. If needed, one dowel at each end or one screw up through the top of the bottom section is ample to hold things in place.

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

Thanks to all who responded with their good ideas (and you too, Lar). :-) I definitely want to be able to easily separate the top, but don't want to run the risk of it moving around on its own. With that in mind, I'm leaning towards using the dowel-pin locator approach, and adding some molding which is fixed to the base.

I've looked at the various mechanical fasteners, and figure I can always add them after the fact if I'm not pleased with how things turn out. (Sort of a belt-and-suspenders approach.)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian