Info needed on Startrite 352 bandsaw

I've recently acquired a Startrite 352 bandsaw but without a manual; it all looks simple enough, is there anything I need to know?

There's a drilled circular pillar (with a winged bolt) on the back of the rip fence - what's it for? There's another circular pillar on the bottom of the upper guard - what's it for?

TIA Dave S

Reply to
Dave

Dave S. wrote: >There's a drilled circular pillar (with a winged bolt) on the back of the

The pillar on the fence is probably a resawing fence. It allows you to vary/pivot the feed angle when it's properly positioned in relationship to the blade's teeth(i.e. parallel). Don't know about the other pillar. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

The pillar on the end of the fence is to hold a length stop for tennoning. The one on upper guard holds an L shaped rod used for cutting circles. I found both to be a waste of time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Williams

You can get a couple of wee books from amazon that are really good for the

*theory* of bandsaws, if you willl....but the name escapes me. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Think they also have them in the back of most woodworking mags.

As for saftey...the bandsaw is the safest machine in the workshop...so don't worry too much about that. Bit o common sense and u'll be fine. Some advice on setting up to optimum performance might be good tho. Also advice on where to get good blades....this can make a huge difference.

Could the thing on the back of the rip fence be for screwing on the mitre angle? Just a thought.

Glen

Reply to
Glen