Bandsaw advice needed please

Also posted in alt.woodworking.... Hi Everyone, I need some advice concerning a bandsaw I recently acquired. It is a Beaver Rockwell model 3300 14 inch saw. This is an older machine, I would think mid 1960's at a guess. Manufactured in Guelph Ontario. I have a wider blade, 3/8th I think, on it and I figure I have the tracking pretty close as I spin it by hand. The problem occurs when I close the case and start it up, it will run for a few seconds then slow down and start to put a strain on the motor. When I shut down and open the case up I can see that the upper tire has crept backwards on the upper wheel and is rubbing against the back of the housing. The tire is not adhered to the hub, as is the bottom tire. My questions are. Should the upper tire be adhered to the hub? Or is the drive tire adhered simply due to age? If it should be adhered, is there a recommended adhesive other then contact cement? The tire has a shallow grove worn in the center, can anyone suggest a replacement source?, Or will any 14 inch tire work correctly? Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

john

Reply to
jd_um_hoste

If you're going to post in multiple groups, at least cross post instead of multi-posting so there's a link...

More than likely although I suppose someone could have solved a similar problem by an expedient. The tires should be tight enough and the saw should track well enough that they tires stay in place.

Assuming it's not something quite unusual, I'd expect any replacement should be ok for dimensions. Like anything else, I've seen some cheap imports w/ really sorry excuses for tires so I'd go w/ a "name" brand replacement.

There was an article in FWW by Robert Vaughn (or Vaughan?) on tuning up a bandsaw that included how to replace the tires including showing how to form the crown....it's well worth seeing.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On 18 Oct 2005 14:14:53 -0700, "jd_um snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com" scribbled:

Beaver Rockwell was a subsidiary of Rockwell Delta, which is now, you guessed it, Delta. I suspect the saw is the same standard 14" Delta. Mine is even older than yours and the standard Delta 14" tires fit.

You might want to contact Delta, they have parts deposits across Canada. Or, to be absolutely sure, you might try Ace Tool Repair in Smithers, BC. They have an amazing amount of parts for older machines and I have ordered from them a number of times (and did a special detour to visit the store in Smithers last year). Web site is at:

"nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Luigi, In addition to ordering a new tire, I'd recommend ordering a good book to help you tune, adjust, select blades for, etc. your bandsaw if you don't already have one. Anything by Mark Duginske - I have his "Bandsaw Handbook" and it is a great resource. Andy

Reply to
Andy

David Marks also had an episode of Wood Works on DIY where he went through tuning up a bandsaw, including replacing and truing the tires.

-John

Reply to
John Girouard

Reply to
nospambob

I just bought tires and a couple of blades from Suffolk for my 14" Delta. They have very knowledgeable and helpful sales associates that were able to answer all of my questions. They send instructions for changing the tires and a booklet on bandsaw tuning, blades, blade tension, etc. Can't recommend them enough.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Thanks very much to everyone who replied... Duane - I actually posted in alt. by accident. Duane, Andy and John - I've requested the Duginski books from the library and picked up a couple of FWW while I was there. I will try and find the Vaugn article. Luigi and NSBob - Thanks for the supplier pointers. I'll contact them if I find that I can't find a local tire that will fit.

It is nice to know that there are people willing to help with advise for others. Thank You, john

Reply to
jd_um_hoste

replying to jd_um_hoste, DRailing wrote: I had the same problem. I replaced the tires with new neoprene ones but they still would creep so I used gorilla glue. Works fine now.

Reply to
DRailing