Looking for a source for latches for a small case

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a source for small case latches that are about 1.5" -

2" high and 1.25" to 1.5" wide that can be used on a wooden case (of a size that would hold a clarinet).

All of the latches that I've found at the major woodworking sites are similar to this one

and are fairly cheap in construction and not very stylish.

If you know of a source for high quality and more stylish latches I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

Gidday, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Woodworker's hardware:

AAvK

If you want quality, ditch latches and go for an internal lock mechanism. Rather than an external hinged "flip", use a cabinet lock with an internal strike. Not all of these have to be key-activated, although most are also lockable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Good luck! I got suggestions to try briefcase hardware, luggage hardware, this place, that place, the other place. I even tried the local band instrument fixer wizard. I didn't turn up anything even remotely close to what I needed.

I just got done fitting it up with latches similar to the ones you depicted. It was really quite involved switching it over to the new style hardware. I've posted about various aspects of the process at length. The result is not exactly stylish, but it ought to darn well keep the case closed through the years of abuse to follow. That's the main thing. (Outfitting my son for band next year. This is a trumpet case, incidentally.) I'd say the one up side is that the (similar to footlocker style) latches I used ought to do a much better job of staying shut through thick and thin than any original replacement hardware would have.

(One problem I always had in band was my flute case flying open at the worst times, like when I was ascending the granite stairs. That poor flute was in dismal condition by the end of my tour of duty in band.)

Reply to
Silvan

Try,

OTB is a wholesaler, so if you are a bus> Jim wrote:

hardware.

Reply to
mrea

Hardware section.