Looking for a specialty router bit

I've checked out Whiteside, Rockler, Freud, Amana and haven't found the bit I think I need. Maybe there's even another way of making the cut.

I'm making a cribbage board and want to build in a compartment for the pegs. I'd like to make a hollow area and then put a t type slot to make a cover that slides over the hollow. The T-slot bits I've been finding are too large for my needs. Ideally I'd like to have something that the horizontal part of the T is around 1/8" in height and the verticle part is about 1/2" though I can always use a second bit to make the verticle. I can't seem to find a bit or a means to make the 1/8" or

3/16" slot. Any ideas?

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Lee Valley has a 1/8" slotting bit that may work for this situation

typically I would try a dovetail bit and have the end result something like this:

_____ _____ /________\ - Cover groove formed with a dovetail bit | | |______| - Storage area formed with a straight plunge bit

Cover slides in the shallow slot formed by the dovetail bit

Chris

Reply to
Chris Carter

I think you might have to laminate the bottom onto the board, after routing a shallow dado in the location for the t-slot. You could form the hollow first, and then accurately locate the dado for the t-slot, and then remove the middle portion, leaving the two-shoulders you would need. You would have good control over the dimensions this way, and I don't think you'll find a router bit that will do this anyway.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Igor

Thomas Mitchell

Should do if the initial plunge is made. I know they work great at their advertised function.

Reply to
George

Hey Thomas, above I posted a link to MLCS that has a T-slot bit w/ 1/8" height. Is that what you wanted?

Reply to
Igor

Think about a t-slot bit and grind down the end until it meets your 1/8" requirement. When you grind it make a slight concave profile so it doesn't burn.

Make it look like this =====|(.

Reply to
Frank K.