How to affix a template

I need to rout a pattern on some 3/4 plywood. I've cut a 3/4 ply template on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking a bout a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing an d should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also shoo t a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Double sided carpet tape?

If there's an area that will later be hidden or removed, the nails, or perhaps better screws, would be most secure.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I use carpet tape, as John suggested. Note: the tape I use is a thin film, not foam; it is white, maybe two inches wide...3 or 4 pieces 3/4" are plenty in most cases, even when routing from a template, as long as the template/work surfaces are flat & smooth.

Reply to
dadiOH

Rally depends upon the shape and complexity.

In critical projects, where material is at a premium, I always shy away from double-sided tape and hot melt glue alone, and try to incorporate some type of mechanical fastener as well (screws, where any holes will be hidden; toggle clamps, etc.), similar to the following.

Swingman

I use carpet tape with great success.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Double sided tape is an option too.

Reply to
Markem

This worked very nicely for me. Secure, safe, and no adhesive to remove:

My template was on mdf.

Those are Harbor Freight toggle clamps. I have no experience with any other brand, but I can detect no obvious flimsiness about them, cheap as they were.

Hey, there's even a video.

I took some grief here, likely deservedly, for not roughing out the shape before routing. But the jig worked very nicely.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

One more. ;!)

I has to create 12 identical arms. I first cut off the excess with my BS and then I clamped an MDF template on top of each. I then used a top bearing 1/2" diameter flush cut bit to cut about 3/16" deep with my trim router. This provided a smooth ledge for the bigger 1/125" diameter bottom bearing bit mounted in my router table to follow.

Leon

e on my BS and need to affix it the part that's being routed. I'm thinking about a couple of dabs of CA glue. That ought to hold it for the routing and should be relatively easy to knock off when done, oui? I could also sh oot a couple of finishing nails in and fill later. Thoughts?

Thanks, guys. I elected to use screws as I can easily fill the holes in th e piece and they are going to be covered with black latex paint.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

double stick carpet tape. get the good stuff. I usually control the amount of stick by using my tshirt to block some of the tackiness. You just touch the tape if it is too tacky to your tshirt and it usually knocks it down a little.

Reply to
woodchucker

You just wanted to show off the Festool clamps. And dust collector. Is that a Festool *bike* in the corner of the photo? Hell, even the MDF looks greenish.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

LOL, Guilty. Actually the mike is an Electra, my wife's. The green MDF is water resistant, a scrap. The work bench is, however, Festool. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

As stated, screws/clamps if you have the room and/or are a bit paranoid.

For my stuff, I've settled on DS tape. Not just any tape, for me it has to be the 'film' style, not the mushy foam type or cloth type. I've gone through dozens of rolls through the years and as typical, as soon as I run out of one purchase lot, the store no longer carries the same stuff. This forces me to try a new type, sometimes with better, sometimes with worse results.

This is the stuff I'm currently using with great results:

It sticks well, yet still can be pulled apart. Occasionally it will pull some fibers from the template material,

I route with 1/4" hardboard templates on wood that has been sanded to at least 120. Sometimes it is two pieces of wood taped together to make duplicates when I don't have a template. Typically I'll use a 1"x1" piece of tape on the corners and every few inches between.

-BR

Brewster