Need To Cut 1/4 Circle In 3/4" Oak Plywood

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I need to cut a quarter circle in 3/4 inch thick oak plywood. Is there a router bit that will do it or will I need to use my jigsaw? The edge needs to be clean and without chipping - something a jigsaw doesn't do easily.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brown

Sounds as if this is a good job for a Router. I see a circle-cutting setup with stops to stop cut at 1/4 circle.But the BS boys will surely tell you this could be done with that tool and a bit of sanding "to the line" after the initial cut.

If you have a template, you could make the cut with the jigsaw and finish the edge with the router "to the line."

Reply to
resrfglc

It might help to clarify - this is a 24" radius cut out of a piece of

4ft x 4ft plywood. The quarter circle will become a shelf while the remainder is a desktop.

I work mostly with hand tools and solid stock. I am out of my element here.

Reply to
Gary Brown

You indicate you have a router and a jig saw.

Guess what?

You have exactly the tools you need.

You need to build a radius jig for your router using some plywood that will allow you to swing a 24" radius.

There are lots of plans out there including one on the NYW.

Cut the 3/4 ply piece proud with your jig saw, then clean up with your router using your new radius jig.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The easiest solution (and extremely easy it is) is to use a router with a simple trammel base attached. You can make the trammel base out of 1/4" plywood or mdf in about 10 minutes.

If you don't know what a trammel is:

's use should be intuitive.

Use one factory edge of your sheet of plywood, with the factory corner as the center of your quarter circle, and you only have to make the one router cut to complete your quarter circle shelf.

Reply to
Swingman