Weight cap. of 3/4 inch plywood

I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons, or ~ 420 lbs). I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle. Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total~455 lbs) Thank you.
On 8/18/2017 6:44 PM, Terrance D McCarty wrote:

It is really about balance. one 2 x 4 can take the weight but you want to distribute it evenly. https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch264/calculators/example7.1/index.html
On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 8:21:48 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

of

e.

Agree
What he's described is way more than min to support it.
On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 22:44:02 GMT, Terrance D McCarty

You didn't say what the foundation is. If this is a stand that will sit on the ground, I would use brick or concrete block, that way you don't have to worry about wood rot, water or insect damage.
No need to use mortar, although digging out a bit of a depression and putting down several inches of sand under the masonry would be a nice touch.
--

The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.

Maybe under-thinking it ? I'm thinking that the base - under the support - is more critical. Rain barrels will over-flow big time - during the heavy downpours. .. make sure the ground beneath the barrel is stable ! then - a big sidewalk paver - with a couple concrete blocks on top - will cost almost nothing in dollars or time - and provide a nice raised surface - get your rain barrel up high enough to get a pail under the drain tap. .. and a bonus - no rotting wood to attract bugs ! or fall apart in a few years. John T.

He may be thinking that the barrel up off the ground will gravity feed for irrigation, hand watering, eliminating a pump. I have this with my 150 gal aerator tank. It will flow enough water to fill a toilet tank with the power off but you are not taking a shower. I went with 4 concrete posts (6" pvc full of concrete) and PT 2x6 stringers and decking. I think plywood will just de laminate.
On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 6:44:09 PM UTC-4, Terrance D McCarty wrote:

You need to use the Sagulator.
It will calculate the sag of more species of wood than I knew existed based on total load, load distribution, support method and a few more factors.
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
On 8/20/2017 7:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It crossed my mind too but I don't see anything sagging. The barrel is self supporting around the circumference and the supports will be directly below it.
On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 11:00:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, but where's the fun in *not* using the Sagulator? ;-)