Fixed! -> Major kitchen cabinet install gap problem? (w/pics)

Jeez, how horrible --- LOL! Hey, it looks great. A craftsman doesn't earn his title by perfection but leading the untrained eye to believe that it is. Nice job, Dave!

Reply to
C & E

I hope the offer isn't pending due to tapered trim above the kitchen cabinets. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted a problem I was having with my Kitchen Cabinet installation. My square and level cabinets had huge gaps between them and the not so level and square ceiling.

I received many good suggestions on how to fix the problem. I liked some of the crown molding suggestions the best, but time did not allow that option.

I was looking for the quickest solution and this is the one I choose,

I milled up some 1-1/4" x 1/4" and 1-1/4 x 3/8" stock with a 3/16" roundover on the bottom edge.

The 3/8" thick stock was for the sides of the cabinets and was notched 1/8" to go around the face frame and meet the 1/4" stock with a mitre and still have the profiles meet up. To notch around the face frame I did a quick and dirty rebate with my sliding compound mitre saw using the built in depth stop to remove only 1/8" of material. I had to use a stand off board to bring the trim away from the fence because with the lower (higher?) travel of the SCMS blade, it did not notch the full way through the trim.

boards were scribed to the ceiling and pinned in place with a 23g pinner. To scribe, I used a compass set to the widest gap and transfered the profile from the ceiling to the trim while holding it level to the cabinets. The trim was rough cut with a jig saw and tuned up with a low angle block plane. The joints between the ceiling and the new trim were caulked and the trim was painted the same colour as the ceiling.

you stare at the trim long enough, you can see that it tapers, but the fact that the trim maintains the same level reveal above the doors and side panels makes everything look proper.

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions on how to fix this and I am sorry it took so long to post the outcome. I hate when we see problems, make suggestions and never see the resolution. I was busy making my house ready for market and *very* short on time. Things are better now :). I have a pending offer on the house after it being on the market for 2 days, but we are still doing an open house this weekend just in case.

Take care and thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Reply to
David F. Eisan