Unsaw rebuild 99% done, DW Sliding table installed, (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

I managed to get the adaptor plates made and installed for the DeWALT sliding table last night,

bought two pieces of 1/4" thick, 2-1/2" wide by 24" long aluminium flat stock. I measured down 7/16 from the top edge of the Unisaw cast iron top and clamped them in place. I marked for three holes and then drilled through the aluminium on my drill press with a 5/16" bit. The three holes then were countersunk with a 5/8" countersink so the cap head screws would sit flush with the plate when installed. I clamped the plates back in place on the saw and marked my holes front and back on the Unisaw table edge. I drilled the cast iron table edge with a 3/8" bit to give me a little wiggle room when installing the adaptor plate. With the adaptor plate installed, I clamped the DeWALT sliding table brackets in place behind the adaptor plate, flush under Unisaw table edge and marked the holes from behind. I removed the aluminium adaptor plates, drilled 5/16" holes on my marks and again countersunk with a 5/8" countersink.

I reinstalled the adaptor plates to the Unisaw table edge and also bolted the DeWALT sliding table brackets to the adaptor plates. Everything lined up bolted together very well.

Next I installed the General T-Square (Biesemeyer) fence. Pretty strait forward, I have lost count of how many I have installed, in fact, I had installed one on a Unisaw earlier in the day at a local high school. Nothing exciting here, Mark some holes and drill them. I did have to cut about 12" off of both front and rear fence rails to allow them to clear the sliding table.

Fence rails installed,

of under the front of the table,

can see how the aluminium adaptor plate I made allows the DeWALT sliding table support rail to be directly under and flush with the front edge of the cast iron table.

Here I have stuffed a 3/4" thick piece of MDF in the mitre slot and I am running a dial indicator back and fourth to check that the sliding table is parallel to the mitre slot,

bashing together a filler box to fit between the front and back fence rails. Made with 5/8" melamine and 3/4" Baltic birch plywood. High end joinery with pocket screws,

installed the filler box and added the table legs.

Here is the saw almost done,

I need to do now is install the switch and make a few more fine adjustments.

For the full horror, here is part 1 of the rebuild,

part 2,

David F. Eisan

> And part 2,

You done good. I'm jealous.

Reply to
Charlie Self

What a great idea to marry these two together! I like it. Did you buy the slider direct from Dewalt or pick it up used?

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Get another one and you can use them for your bed end tables or whatever it is you Canuckleheads call nightstands.

Reply to
musials

Looks totally functional. Rub it in... I hope you're proud of yourself. Btw.. you suck. =0)

*waiting for my green skin colour to dissipate *
Reply to
Robatoy

I bought it as a demo for about 33% off. It had been out of the box, but never used.

Thanks,

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

STEVE!,

I thought the two kids had burried you in the backyard!

Nice to hear from you,

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Nope, the older one now has her own set of hearing protection and goggles and likes to sit on one of the benches and watch me work. The young lad is will be turning 1 in a couple of weeks but still craps his diaper whenever a machine turns on. We've got a little more work to do with him yet.

How's life been for you besides having more tools than furniture?

Reply to
musials