I managed to get the adaptor plates made and installed for the DeWALT
sliding table last night,
I bought two pieces of 1/4" thick, 2-1/2" wide by 24" long aluminium flat
stock. I measured down 7/16 from the top edge of the Unisaw cast iron top
and clamped them in place. I marked for three holes and then drilled through
the aluminium on my drill press with a 5/16" bit. The three holes then were
countersunk with a 5/8" countersink so the cap head screws would sit flush
with the plate when installed. I clamped the plates back in place on the saw
and marked my holes front and back on the Unisaw table edge. I drilled the
cast iron table edge with a 3/8" bit to give me a little wiggle room when
installing the adaptor plate. With the adaptor plate installed, I clamped
the DeWALT sliding table brackets in place behind the adaptor plate, flush
under Unisaw table edge and marked the holes from behind. I removed the
aluminium adaptor plates, drilled 5/16" holes on my marks and again
countersunk with a 5/8" countersink.
I reinstalled the adaptor plates to the Unisaw table edge and also bolted
the DeWALT sliding table brackets to the adaptor plates. Everything lined up
bolted together very well.
Next I installed the General T-Square (Biesemeyer) fence. Pretty strait
forward, I have lost count of how many I have installed, in fact, I had
installed one on a Unisaw earlier in the day at a local high school. Nothing
exciting here, Mark some holes and drill them. I did have to cut about 12"
off of both front and rear fence rails to allow them to clear the sliding
Fence rails installed,
Shot of under the front of the table,
You can see how the aluminium adaptor plate I made allows the DeWALT sliding
table support rail to be directly under and flush with the front edge of the
cast iron table.
Here I have stuffed a 3/4" thick piece of MDF in the mitre slot and I am
running a dial indicator back and fourth to check that the sliding table is
parallel to the mitre slot,
Yawn, bashing together a filler box to fit between the front and back fence
rails. Made with 5/8" melamine and 3/4" Baltic birch plywood. High end
joinery with pocket screws,
I installed the filler box and added the table legs.
Here is the saw almost done,
All I need to do now is install the switch and make a few more fine
For the full horror, here is part 1 of the rebuild,
And part 2,