CRAFTSMAN ROUTER MODEL NO. 315.175040

Does anyone have a owners manual for a CRAFTSMAN ROUTER MODEL NO.

315.175040

I have tried the Sears homepage but they want $5 for the manual and $7 for shipping. There has got to be a better way. If some one is able to assist me, please email me and let me know how much it will set me back. I would even take an electronic copy. Any and all help would be appriciated.

Conrad..................

Reply to
Conrad

I don't have a manual, however, based on my experience with "crapsman" routers, the best solution would be Porter Cable or ANY of the others. The Craftsman routers have 3 failures that I have personally seen: they throw fan blades, they throw a winding/commutator segment or if it survives those two, the collet wears and since all the ones I have seen are part of the armature shaft and not replaceable, you have to replace the whole router (and collets do wear - the bits will start "creeping out" - now that is a spooky adventure (and it ruins the project too)). I will admit that the Craftsman router that I used to have really made me appreciate the PC router that I bought to replace it !!

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

Reply to
Conrad

Or why I ditched mine

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Conrad, I was given (freebie) a brand new Craftsman router and was quite tickled to get it -- until I tried to route a groove with it. The bit walked out of the collet and the groove kept getting deeper and deeper.

That was pretty unsettling. I've worked around high-speed equipment for years -- the collet was properly tightened. I reset it and re-tightened it, this time over-tightening by a wide margin but getting the same result.

It's a well-known 'feature' of their routers sometimes referred to as "automatic depth adjustment" or "variable bit heighth". Carried to the logical conclusion, the results could be painful.

I'm not familiar with that model ... but I retired my 1/4" Craftsman router almost immediately -- before it could 'retire' me.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

AAMOF, look at Item #6 in the "anti-faq" posted here:

BillinDetroit
13 years later....I have a manual lol
Reply to
Marlon