center finder

finding the center for dowels and other round things is not that common for me

but i am making a center finder to do so

the frame is wood but am deciding on either metal or plexi for the cross piece

metal seems to be a better and lonfer lasting solution but maybe there is a good reason to use plexi

no advantages of having a clear piece comes to mind

Reply to
Electric Comet

Much like finding the 'shift' key? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

That's not what he is talking about. Something with 2 dowels marked midway between. Set over board edge, twist til a dowel touches each side, the mark on the jig hows center.

Reply to
dadiOH

Actually, ec has trouble expressing himself coherently - he/she/zit could mean practically anything.

Centerfinders for locating the center axis of turning stock (round or square) are quite common in the 'lathe' section of tool catalogs, or as notbot pointed out, a center finder head for a combo square is designed for the purpose.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Apparently, "dadiOH" has a similar problem. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

It's easy on a lathe; even a pencil sharpener always finds the center of the pencil (but you gotta cut your way there).

Reply to
whit3rd

Yes, I know. I don't recall any using a cross piece though, other than the rule of a combination square. It is true that OP could express himself more clearly but what he said was sufficient to recall other things tnan the type you mrntioned, assuming some familiarity with home made jigs and the ability to think a bit non-conventionally.

Reply to
dadiOH

I made one for my lathe 40+ years ago. Simple to make, simple to use. Finds the center of squares, not squares and round.

Jack

gives me an idea one side for round stock and flip it over for square

but usually square is not a problem however multipurpose tools are best even if they see minimal use

Reply to
Electric Comet

I said that poorly. The one Pictured works for Squares, Not squares, and rounds and not rounds. In other words, it finds the center for all spindle turnings, regardless if square, round or in between. If you look, the jig is a V that fit's rounds and squares:

Make the one pictured. It is not multipurpose, it is just a center finder for lathe turnings. If you have an out of square "square, or out of round, "round" and draw four lines approximately 90 degrees apart, you will get a little square box directly in the center.

Reply to
Jack