Load Center Orientation

Can a load center with a main breaker be mounted rotated 90 degrees such that the main breaker is on the left (side ) rather than the more normal position, at the top?

The load center I'm considering is ebay item 130313028566 and mounting it with the breaker on the left rather than the top would make installation easier.

I'm replacing a Square D 816 load center that is too congested. The neutral bus is maxed out, I added a larger ground bar but the neutral (at one wire per screw) has no spares.

The 816 is about 9" x 12".... the one I'm considering is about 15" square.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

*My first thought is no. The manufacturers usually specifically say in the instructions what positions the panel can be mounted in and most of the time it is with the main on the top or bottom. The electrical inspector will consider that. Call your inspector and see what he says.
Reply to
John Grabowski

=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDand

if yours is a main the middle group insppector told me grounds and neutrals can be on the same buss bar.

but NOT on a sub panel!b they must be seperate

Reply to
bob haller

I looked at the perspective panel.

To minimize doing this upgrade again at least go with a 20 slot panel.

This is way too small

Reply to
bob haller

No. That would change the orientation of the individual circuit breakers from horizontal to vertical, which would put half of your breakers in violation of this provision of the Code:

"Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally, the 'up' position of the handle shall be the 'on' position." [2008 NEC, Article 240.81]

That language has been in the Code for at least fifteen years.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If it's 15" square what difference does it make which way it's mounted? It takes up the same amount of space.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Well, he said it would make installation easier... but I suspect that isn't really true, since most load centers have multiple knockouts for the service conductors -- typically on the top, bottom, left and right sides, and back. Pretty much regardless of where his conductors are, he should be able to mount the box as *required* by Code (see my earlier post in this thread) and have a knockout somewhere that can be used to bring the conductors in.

Reply to
Doug Miller

As Doug Miller points out, the applicable rule is:

"Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally, the 'up' position of the handle shall be the 'on' position." [2008 NEC, Article 240.81]

I take this to mean that if you rotate the load center, you can only populate those breaker positions that comply with the rule. For a typical load center, this means that only half of the branch circuit breakers can be used. Likewise, if there is a main breaker, that forces you to use only one of the two possible rotated orientations.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

In article , Wayne Whitney wrote: [...]

Well, that depends on the main. If the main breaker throws vertically when the box is oriented vertically, then turning the box 90 degrees either direction still leaves the main breaker throwing horizontally.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Good point.

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Like many houses around here my Main is upsidedown. I can't see any reason you can mount the box on its side, probably better with the door hinge on the bottom.

Reply to
Phisherman