Call for a moderator of REC.WOODWORK

Given the several hundred postings/day on this newsgroup, I think you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who has enough time to moderate this newsgroup.

Get some kind of kill-file add-on for the newsreader you are using, or use the built-in stuff if your newsreader already has it.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

I'm neutral on the issue (but I admire anyone willing to moderate a group with as many posts as we have here).

I want to let you know, though, that what I suppose you want your signature to be ("In His Name, be Blessed," with the "--" above it), is placed at the beginning of your message, thereby making your whole message apeearing to be part of your signature (usually, everything below "--" is the signature). It makes it very hard to read your message, and if one uses a smarter NG reader, then a reply to you will quote nothing, since the whole message looks like a gigantic signature.

Just in case you did not know...

Reply to
gabriel

I don't. Are you volunteering?

Also, I agree with Gabriel regarding your sig. Please put the body of your post PRIOR to your sig so that it gets quoted easily.

Thanks

Reply to
Saudade

NO, I don't agree.

Mike Zuchick wrote:

Reply to
Grandpa

That's rich, Mike Zuchick calling for a moderator. I'm glad I turned off my killfile to check what I was missing. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

No, no moderator needed- just a decent newsreader with an easy to use killfile (or bozobin).

and yet another vote to fix your posts so the .sig comes last.

/vic

Reply to
Victor Radin

Mike Zuchick states:

Not unless we get one that doesn't allow religous expression.

Charlie Self "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

Twain quotes. How do you like that?

-- Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Reply to
Al Reid

Twain quotes. How do you like that? It's easy to ignore a sig line that is where it is supposed to be. Putting it in everybodies' face is the problem, and what was being pointed out. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Mark Twain quotes. How do you like that?

Look as my sig line ;^} Ah, never mind!

-- Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Reply to
Al Reid

When do you start?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

TROLL TROLL TROLL you boat....man a lot of troll bait these days...

oops i fed another one... my bad (Sorry dave)

Myx

Reply to
Myxylplyk

First off, Mike, fix the way you post -- put the body of your post *above* your sig so it gets quoted properly when someone replies.

Second, no, I don't think it's time for a moderator. There's so much diversity of opinion here on the ON-topic issues that get people wound up (SawStop, for example), to say nothing of the OFF-topic ones, that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find a sufficiently impartial, objective individual to serve as moderator.

Third, there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of posts in the last six or eight months describing various methods of filtering out the garbage. I don't see any of the crap _at_all_ unless I look at Nfilter's "dropped articles" list. I suggest you give Nfilter a try. It will make your newsgroup experience much more pleasant.

FWIW, I wish Google would fix their "Safe Search" filtering so it looks at the

*titles* of the posts as well as their content. As it stands, a post with an offensive title and innocuous content passes the filter. I've complained to Google about this, but so far to no avail.

Doug Miller

How about, political affiliation, race, class and creed? Further, will the moderators be Netcops?

Reply to
WD

Al Reid states:

How about that. Go for it. In the meantime, I'll do the simple thing and get my "moderator" going along on Al Reid.

Charlie Self "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

LOL! Very true. The only way I can think of is when someone already has a reader configured and then the kid stumbles on by accident. Anyway, the age of raising kids oblivious of every evil in the world is pretty much gone.

Reply to
gabriel

Tag, your it.

That oughtta keep him busy for a while.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

: -- : In His Name, be Blessed,

: I think it is about time for a Moderator for this Group. Anyone agree?

: God Bless,

I nominate Cthulu. Or Beezelbub.

-- Andy Bars

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Charlie, I've never been able to say things as well as Kipling does.

Example herewith:

Whether The People be led by The Lord, Or lured by the loudest throat: If it be quicker to die by the sword Or cheaper to die by vote-- These are things we have dealt with once, (And they will not rise from their grave) For Holy People, however it runs, Endeth in wholly Slave.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard