Black & Decker

Every time I turn around I hear that B&D now controls another company. I have not been a fan of B&D for many years now. I, like most woodworkers, am constantly looking for more toys, aka tools. I do not wish to buy anything that B&D has their finger in.

Recently I needed a part for my DeVilbiss compressor, I called my local small engine/compressor repair shop and was informed the it would probably take from 6 to 8 weeks to get the part. Inquiring as to why it would take so long I was informed that they had been having long lead times for parts on any tool that B&D had acquired.

I am currently looking for a 14" band saw, I had decided that the Jet, Delta or Grizzly would suit my needs, but I guess Delta is out of the question now.

Where can I find a list of companies that B&D has acquired or is in the process of acquiring?

Thanks, Bilbo

Reply to
Bilbo Baggins

Rob Mills

Black and Decker's 10-K is their annual SEC filing and lists their major subsidiaries. I think this link will work:

not just go to
- investor relations - financial - SEC filings - page down to 10-K.

Funny thing I noticed on their website is that they don't list Delta/Porter Cable/Devilbliss on their home page. But I know as you noted that the parts service has been integrated.

As far as B&D tools, I agree that I would shy away from B&D branded tools for myself. But, Dewalt tools have served me well. I do have a couple of B&D Trade tools from the 70's that are still going strong. This line became Dewalt as we know it today. When B&D acquired Dewalt in the late 60's it only made RAS's. B&D started making them under the B&D name and later stopped making the RAS. The Dewalt name was unused (but still owned) by B&D until branding there top of the line tools with Dewalt.

I wouldn't exclude Dewalt, Delta, Porter Cable or Devilbliss from my purchase consideration due to the parts issue because I own tools from all of the above and have only need a part once.

Ramble off.

David

Reply to
David Bridgeman

Within the last ninety days I have ordered multiple parts for a Delta Sawbuck, (a product that was discontinued over nine years ago),and a Delta hollow chisel mortiser. I ordered them through the B & D servicenet ordering system (which is better, easier to use, than the old system that the Pentair tool group had) and got them all within three days of ordering.

Maybe you should get your local to define "probably".

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

IMHO B&D has not been as good since they stopped making tools that were black, silver, and grey in color.

Reply to
Leon

Dear Mr. Bilbo Baggins:

I find your post very upsetting and based on hearsay and not facts. Fact is: B & D builds for a low end home owner tool and only someone very frugal would buy anyway. B&D also builds some very nice tools on the high end. Condiming a whole company based on lies and hearsay is just plain wrong and unfair. Your statements are not based on facts. I have sold tools for years and I can tell you from 1000's of experiences and dealing with customers you get what you pay for. You buy cheap, you get cheap. I am very active with the management of B&D and Delta. I am very confident that they will only continue to get better. My statements are based on fact, not feelngs nor hearsay. Delta will also take care of their customers. They have too much to lose if they do not.

I own and use over 30 Delta tools on a dailly bases. I can verify the quality and support I get from Delta.i Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I usually admire your posts, but I find this one to be silly. You admit that you are involved with the company management, and comdem the OP beacuse he does not use facts, but you provide no facts..just emotion. If B&D is great company please provide facts.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I am sorry that I did not list all of the data.

  1. I called my local supplier and requested a price for a replacement gasket for my compressor. The supplier said that the part was not in his stock and he would have to check with the manufacturer for the information.

  1. The following day my supplier called me to let me know the price and that it would probably be a few weeks. I told him that would not be a problem since I was going on vacation.

  2. After my vacation (about 4 weeks after first call) I called my supplier again to find out what was up with my part. I was told that they had not heard anything yet, but would call and get right back to me with an answer. About 30 min later they called and told me that the part would not be available for 2 to 4 more weeks. At that time I was also told that this was not unusual since B&D had purchased DeVilbiss.

I am quite aware that B&D tools are manufactured for the casual user that is why I shy away from B&D branded tools, 60 years ago the name B&D meant quality, now it means cheap. >Dear Mr. Bilbo Baggins:

Reply to
Bilbo Baggins

And what makes you think Delta hasn't _always_ required and operated for a profit?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Now I'm confused. The servicenet site lists parts in three ways. In Stock (available immediately, about 95% of all parts), back ordered, or no longer available. If back ordered there is either a specific fulfillment date or no date available (usually because the service buyer/planner has not input it yet). Wonder where your local supplier is getting all this nebulous and variable delivery information.

Possibly you should go on servicenet, look up the part number and see for yourself.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I went to my local Porter Cable/Delta parts and recondition outlet in Southern California and the name has been changed to Black & Decker. I was PISSED!!!!!!!! I was looking for a reconditioned circular saw, my old 25 year old Craftsman finally took a shit and I needed to replace it. For the last 10 years I have only bought Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosch and Delta. I went in and all I saw basically was orange and black, I got sick to my stomach. I asked the customer service guy what happened. He didn't look happy and said that B&D had taken them over. My next question was how long will it take B&D to implement it's cheap ass engineering into Porter Cable and Delta? He had that stupid look on his face. I told him guess you're forcing me to buy Milwaukee and Bosch. He did say that I wasn't the only customer that had the same reaction.

The worst power tool builder now makes one of the best power tools. How long will it take for Delta/Porter Cable to become second to the worst?

I'm so pissed off Rich

Reply to
evodawg

I never said profit I said profet margin which equates to the lowes possible manufacturing cost to the highest possible resale price regardless of the quality of the item that you are selling.

Reply to
Bilbo Baggins

Well, since my local supplier is an authorized service center for DeVilbiss, I would assume that they are getting the parts from the manufacturer.

Reply to
Bilbo Baggins

All I can say is "amen": I won't even buy a B&D coffeemaker, much less one of their tools. That being said, I guess they did help a lot of folks enter the DIY world without much financial outlay. Of course, I understand Delta is using Taiwan and China for most of their manufacturing, anyway, with no price reductions, so their bottom line must be looking pretty darned good.

--Jim

Reply to
KENDALL SEYBERT

Improving profit margin is the end objective of any business--pretty much Econ 101.

"Quality" is a target for a desired/identified market niche.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth