Beaver 6200 9" contractor ts - tehcnical questions

Good evening... If any of you collectors of older Beaver/Rockwell table saws are listening, perhaps you could help?

Recently I picked up a 9" full cast contractor saw and I am in the midst of tuning it as near to perfection as I can. The only things left to tackle are the arbor run out problem and the possibility of fitting a blade cover/splitter to it. This saw was never released with a guard assembly offered so anyone with creative solutions, feel free to comment (I'd rather not make one from scratch). Anyway... I got a burst of initiative today and ripped the whole saw down limb from limb. I took both the bearings out and I have found a source for replacements locally. I also found a machine shop that said they'll press the new ones in for $5-$10 on a lunch break. Sometimes you get lucky... I do have a little concern though... I have been noticing some serious run out at the arbor (I've sanded, polished, etc. both of the washers with no major improvement). Anyway, the flange or arbor washer directly in front of the bearing closest to the blade... is it supposed to be physically attached to the shaft or is it meant to be removable? I managed to take it off but it required some careful blows with a punch and dead mallet. Since I took it apart, I now know that the chances of a warped shaft are slim to none. I am hoping that by replacing both bearings and flanges/nuts, I should be good to go. Is it normal for the arbor flange to have a **tiny** bit of play or is it supposed to be 100% rock solid (before the nut is tightened down on it)? The movement I found at the flange had nothing to do with the bearings as the two pieces have a tiny gap between them (I was thinking maybe some kind of spacer/snap ring went south). Should I replace the washers and the bearings and call it a day or should I order a new arbor assy also?? Thoughts??

Thanks again,

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

We'll give it a go.

Are you sure of this? The 8" Beaver had a splitter/blade guard so I'd suspect the 9" would also.

On the parts drawing Beaver (Callander Foundry) has the arbor (arbour David) and the flange called out with two item numbers. The call the flange "Saw Mandrel Tight Collar". I suspect it's supposed to be a press fit but I'm doubtful it should be removable at will (without some effort). A machinist can lightly knurl the shaft (mandrel) and re-press it. Of course this could introduce some more play so be wary of just anyone doing this for you if you know what I mean.

I would put back what you think went there be it a bearing spacer or what. As for ordering a new assembly, wheredoyougetone?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

According to both Delta and Ace Tools, the 6200 Beaver saws never hit the market with a guard/splitter option. That being said, the 6201s did have an add-on (part# 34037 - Blade Guard and Splitter). This part# is nowhere to be found so I was searching some alternatives and testing the water to see if there were any other folks in the same boat as me.

The arbor assy. can be ordered both through Delta and also Ace Tools. The original listing was 417-97-303-001 and was replaced with a cross-over listing for it as #422-04-303-0005 (I think the Unisaws are

0003 but I am not certain off the top of my head). Anyway, I have no problems with the $69.09 CDN price tag for the assy - I just wanted to see if even the smallest fraction of play was normal. The advice about taking the works to a machine shop may be the order of the day.

Thanks again for your help,

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

Hi The Good Bohemian I also have an old Rockwell Beaver saw,mine is a 10" model 34050. The bearing on the pulley side of the arbor let go and spun on the shaft and ruined it.I called delta and ordered the arbour assy..They had one in stock and were only $68 can. If your saw has the same arbour as marked on this web site

it is the same as mine, so you could order one if you want. As far as the blade guard I will post a picture of mine in abpw to show you how it is made. PS There is a C clip on the inside of the blade side bearing.

Reply to
Ron

Thanks Ron! About that c clip on the inside of the blade-side bearing... I did find this and was able to remove it intact. I am still skeptical as to how the washer is supposed to stay a 90d alignment against the arbor flange when the flange is free to move. Does this make sense? I think I will order the arbor assy if the re&re of the bearings doesn't do the trick. This saw was easier to take apart than I had originallt imagined...

I will go check out your pics... thanks again...

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

The flange on my arbor can only move back and fourth on the shaft with extremely hard blows with a hammer. Once the bearing is against the C clip and the flange against the bearing there should be no play at all.

Reply to
Ron

Picture on front of 6200 manual clearly shows a guard & splitter :)

I'm looking for a Guard/Splitter too if anyone wants to sell one or two

Reply to
Brett