difficult to remove arbor assy? (Beaver 9" table saw)

I have a nice old cast 9" Beaver/Rockwell TS (full cast iron). I can get a new arbor assy. for a reasonable price (with bearing) but I'm wondering how difficult it is to replace this at home in the shop? I assume that if I were to replace only the bearings, I'd need an arbor press? It looks like the arbor shaft itself might be inserted into a keyway but I can't be sure. What's the best way to remove this and install the new part?

In case I wasn't clear... There's an arbor nut retainer and then the blade... then another retainer that's attached to the arbor shaft and a bearing. I would like to pull out and replace the arbor shaft and bearing as one unit rather than pressing in new bearings with an arbor press.

Do any of you have experience with this?

Thanks.

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

Typically the way these things work is, there is a piece of cast iron that piece is milled to seat the bearings. Into this goes the arbor. In order to change one or the other the same procedure has to be performed. In other words, the arbor shaft is removed first followed by the bearings. Since it appears that you won't be using these pieces again (?) I'd say you could probably tap them all out with a stout piece of dowel and a hammer. As for replacing, I'd take all the parts and pieces to your local Delta Service Center and see if they'd press them for a nominal fee. Or, you could hunt down a friend who has a press. Or, you could buy a press.

In other words, you really should have them pressed back in. Too many chances to wreck the thing if you don't.

I took mine to the Delta Service Center.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100