removing woodruff key table saw arbor

Before all the replies about Craftsman junk, etc. let me say, this is an older (1978 or so) craftsman table saw that has been just fine for me.

I need to replace the arbor bearings and have figured out how to get everything loose but can't get the arbor out of the housing. The problem seems to be a woodruff key on the end of the arbor that I can't get to budge. I have tapped the end of it, used Smash, had a friend try, etc. but nothing seems to move it.

Anyone had a similar problem? I really hate to buy a new saw when this one just needs bearings. I read the article on Woodworker's Bench Notes about replacing the bearing, etc. which was very helpful but there was no woodruff key to deal with in that description.

Thanks

Reply to
Jane

Propane torch and penetrating oil

Reply to
RayV

As suggested penetrating oil and a propane torch should loosen the key, try tapping down on one end, the key should basically rock up in the keyway. If it is really ceased you may have to try a narrow chisel to loosen it, tap the chisel under the end of the key and down into the keyway.

Reply to
Frank Campbell

My Craftsman from the late 50's, early 60s certainly has a key. But the first question is, do you really need new bearings? have you tested runout? If you have fine, but my saw, which my father used a tremendous amount, still has the original bearings and they exhibit no wear.

In any case you got the advice you need. Heat and cold alternately can break almost anything loose.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

As others have said, penetrating oil and a torch.....probably in that order. Careful of which type of penetrating lubricant you use....some are flammable...DAMHIKT. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

The saw was making a scraping noise (like metal on metal) which kept getting worse. I tried several different blades, etc. I replaced the belt but it didn't stop the noise. I had a friend who works in a wood and machine shop look at it and he thought it was the bearings for sure. I'm still not totally convinced it's the bearings but took his word for the source of the noise. May have been a big mistake on my part.

Thanks for all the responses.

Reply to
Jane