Batteries

While looking for a replacement battery for some older cordless I stumbled across a person who makes physical adaptors to use the newer 20 volts Li batteries in the older 18volt tools. They are well designed and very well executed. The plastic is interestingly done by 3D printing. The kit consists of the plastic and two brass tabs along with a user supplied old 18 volt. The instructions for your own assembly are a bit vague and does require some wire and the ability to solder. If interested go to Craig's list Oshkosh WI and search for battery adaptor. A bit pricey, but very well satisfied. Disclaimer: No connection the him other than a satisfied user. CP
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:12:40 -0800

interesting idea
what kind of plastic
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:24:16 -0800, Electric Comet

Most common plastics used in 3D printing is PLA and ABS. I'd guess PLA. On 3D printing, temperature for printing (melting) PLA is 200-215 celsius, ABS is around 230-245 celsius.
On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 05:56:50 -0600 snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com wrote:

not sure of melting point significance
drop resistance would be number one for me
just knocked mine off a three foot onto concrete and seems to be no problem
Have no idea. Do the search and ask. CP

If you have dewalt tools you can just buy the dewalt adapter.

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 01:27:00 -0500, J. Clarke

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to find these last Christmas. I've replaced most of my Dewalt tools and the few I have aren't used much. All of my Dewalt NiCd batteries have died, except one (and I'm sure it won't be long for it), so it's nice to be able to extend the few tools I have somewhat longer.
On 2/24/2018 8:33 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I have not bought into battery powered anything except drills, so far. My biggest concern is that I have never worn out a drill but the batteries became obsolete. I would fear that with the bit battery tool kits that an obsolete battery would soon make all the tools obsolete along with them.
A battery adapter to power the tools with a 120 volt receptacle would be a great remedy. Assuming the adapter had the power out put to meet the demand.

That's certainly happened to me but I think the advantages outweigh replacement. Now with Li batteries, that problem becomes less important and frequent.

More green propaganda, huh, Leon? ;-)
Actually, that doesn't interest me much. I assume I'm giving up something for cordless operation. I wouldn't want to tote a tail around and still give up performance.
On 2/24/2018 11:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

In my situation, none of those other tools get used far from a power source. Today's cordless technology certainly would have come in handy for some of the fence jobs I have had in the past.
On 2/24/18 10:16 AM, Leon wrote:

A number of years ago, Dewalt had a 120V adapter, same format as the battery pack.
Future "batteries" should include a fuel cell, just add hydrogen and that metal disc grinder will be good to go! 8^)
-BR