'Popping' sound from electrical socket

Over the past couple of days I've heard a 'popping' noise coming from a populated double socket. It's happened at most once or twice a day and is possibly coincident with the bad weather we've been having. There is no tripping of breakers at the CU.

Does anyone know what it could possibly be?

Thanks

Reply to
PeterL

Populated or not should make no difference - check plugs/pins/fuse not getting hot. Does your CU have an RCD fitted? if so and it is working (use the test button to check) possibly not too much to worry about but worth investigating. If not and you suspect dampness, then I suspect the moisture is building up where it should not and then vapourising as steam and making the noise. Isolate the power to that ring or preferably turn off at the CU and investigate.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Is it on an outside wall? Could damp be getting to it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

electrocuted mice? Or arcing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, no heat detected

Yes, RCD is fitted and testing fine

This is an internal partition wall with no likelihood of dampness.

The fact that nothing trips at the CU is re-assuring but it just seems like such an odd thing to be happening. Is there any possibility it's related to lightning strikes?

Reply to
PeterL

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:la6kon$foo$1 @news.albasani.net:

Unplug the heaviest rated appliance and plug it in elsewhere. see what happens

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:la6kon$foo$1 @news.albasani.net:

Unplug the heaviest rated appliance and plug it in elsewhere. see what happens

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Just possibly, temperature changes due to the local climate may make the fa ceplate, for example, change in size with respect to what it is screwed to. If the screws are just at the right tightness, stress might build up and release (stiction) occasionally. Alter the tightness of everything as a te st, preferably without electrocuting anybody.

Also, check the bottom inside for such as electro-cremated ants.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Probably a loose connection (popping is an electric arc.)

Needs immediate attention.

Reply to
harryagain

Some nice alternatives have been presented but I'd go for a loose termination and vibration causing something to arc. Remember on a ring the ring current flows through the terminals even if there is nothing plugged into that particular socket.

Switch off, remove the offending socket and check all the wires are firm in their terminals and then check all the terminal screws are tight. In fact think I'd actually remove the wires and check them for damage (arcing will leave marks) and remove any damaged bits and reterminate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK with no heat, no damp and no RCD trips, I don't think you have anything to worry about from a safety point of view. It is difficult (for me) to think of a lightning related cause either.

Any rodent activity? Clutching at straws here.....

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In addition to the other comments, if it's got a surge suppressor in it, it could be that absorbing energy, which for some types causes part of the component to explode away as it absorbs the excess energy to try and clamp the voltage. Any lights flickering at the same time (most noticable from filament lamps)?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is this with things running or not? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Older sockets which have at one time overheated can leave a bit of carbonised residue, and getting this damp can give the sounds mentioned. It used to happen in my shed. However, in a house this surely is not good, where would the dampness come from? If it is an old socket though its worth a look for a tell tale burn or looseness inside and replacing the socket. Smoking guns are pretty obvious!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Lightning strikes, well I've heard things like that when there is a high static build up, but normally things start to trip, and the fact yours is not is a little worrying. I have also come across those multi way trailing adaptors that make sounds, but this was normally tracked down to an arcing buss bar in the block not completely connecting to the actual socket piece, it had got bent. This is why i asked if the things plugged in were actually turned on, as some devices still have a capacitor across the mains when off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Frying dead spiders? grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes got a portable radio with medium wave. Put it near the socket in a blank bit of the band and see if you can induce the popping. If wiggling things gives any interference, get in there and make sure all the screws are tight and there is not any sign of heating up. Erm, turn the ring off before taking the socket off, we don't want to lose any readers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Also older sockets can have 'soft' contacts on the pins of the plug. It's a self-accelersting process - as the contact worsens the heating grows and has more effect on the metal. I once went through 6 or 7 2- and 3-way 13A adaptors and found that 3 were soft and dismatled them and dumped the plastic, 2 were a bit slack but still springy and were reset, t'other(s)OK. Then I put in some new 13A sockets to stop me mate's wife from using a 3-way adaptor for a washing machine, tumble dryer and fridge/freezer.

Reply to
PeterC

This was why I asked the OP if the plugs/pins/fuses were getting warm but apparently not.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Arcing. Its probably going to catch fire or blow fuses very soon. Replace it right away.

NT

Reply to
meow2222