Popping sound in the water heater

I hear a popping sound from the gas water heater (about 7 years old) during heating. I believe it is due to sediments build up in the water heater. I'm planning on getting a new one installed in 2-3 weeks. Is it safe to operate the current water heater till then?

Reply to
Rabs

It is due to sediment and is quite harmless. Little pockets of water in the sediment are "exploding" during firing, causing the popping or rumbling.

When you get the new heater, set up some schedule to flush the thing. Search the archives on this group; should be several hundred messages about "draining water heater" or similar.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Safe to use, but it is a good thing that you have a new one scheduled because you are going to need one soon.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Safe to use. Heck, mine's been making those noises for 6 years now with no ill effects. I'll probably end up replacing it soon as it's nearing 14 years old. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson