alexa in the shop

anyone tried alexa in the shop yet it might be useful for this
find me the closest and lowest price for water based white primer
add fifteen sixteenths plus four and five eighths
multiply five sixteenths by fourteen
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:28:10 -0800

good for a laugh
https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/13/snl-just-came-up-with-a-hilarious-version-of-alexa-designed-for-senior-citizens/
alessa where did i put that roll of duct tape
alexa which roll of duct tape you have seven rolls
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:28:10 -0800

thinking more on this they will need to make one for high noise and high dust environment
wondering if it can learn the background noise and still function
for example if you have the fan on or maybe music is playing or the windows are open and there is traffic noise or wind noise
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 12:57:31 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

She listens to me even while the TV is playing right above the pod.
She listens to me when music is playing. If she didn't how could she raise the volume, stop the music, pause to answer a question, etc.?
Sometimes she picks up ambient noises and responds. I was watching TV the o ther night and the character, using a southern accent, said "Relax, son".
The pod mistook "Relax, son" for "Alexa" and looked up some information bas ed on what the character said next. I said ”Alexa, stop" and she shut up.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:26:37 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

She listens to you whenever the NSA wants her to. ;-)

I can't remember the keywords but the local traffic reporter had Alexa go off several times during the traffic report a few weeks ago. It was pretty funny.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:26:37 -0800 (PST)

tv is white noise but technically it is not
put it in the shop with some shop noise and report back would expect it to filter out white noise with some training but never know
ruggedized alexa would be good offering they could add some other things to it
particulate reports it could measure the size and density and alert for n95 or higher or lower
could also measure hazardous volatile levels for painting
could also measure noise levels and alert to put on ear protection
temp and humidity would be useful too
should have an inventory system as well
you come back from the store and it scans the bar code
then as you use the materials you update inventory
would be good to have it store the location too
alessa hinges
which hinges
alessa two inch stainless hinges
there are two pairs of two inch stainless hinges and both are in a3

That's a ton of work for very little gain. Here's an absolute truth about storage: If you can't find it, you don't have it. No computer inventory system will help you out there.
Analyze, organize and build/purchase the proper storage holders and you'll be good.
If you want to buy an always-on internet connected microphone, do so. As for me and my shop, we'll avoid electronic nonsense such as always-on internet connected microphones and other Internet of Things (except security) devices.
Puckdropper
On 1/24/2018 12:29 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

If you are connected to the internet, some one is listening, whether by microphone, your telephone, or keyboard.
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:53:23 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

That sentence makes about as much sense as white noise.

My shop is really quiet now that I got rid of my vacuum. I'm sure the sound of a broom won't bother Alexa at all.
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:53:23 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

No training required.
I placed Alexa on the router table.
I turned on the shop vac (inside a foam lined, 3/4 plywood cabinet). Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.
I left the vac on, turned on the router table (PC690 router), powered up a cordless drill. Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.
I left the vac on, turned off the router table, turned on the table saw, powered up a cordless drill. Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.
Left the vac and table saw on, turned on the TV (louder than I normally would) and turned on the stereo (louder than I normally would). Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.
I left the vac, TV and stereo on, turned off the table saw, turned on the router table. Asked Alexa for the forecast, did not get it. Yelled. Nothing. Yelled really loud, got the weather forecast. I then moved Alexa off of the router table to a spot about 5' away. Not closer to where I was standing, in fact farther away. I had to yell, but not as loudly as before to get the forecast.
So, based on the extreme scientific rigor of my testing, I will say that under (my) normal shop usage, which will typically consist of the enclosed vac, one power tool and either the TV or stereo, Alexa needs no training or enhancements to function normally.
BTW: If anyone ever catches me operating the router table and yelling for Alexa to give me the forecast at the same time, please kill the breakers for the shop receptacles, pull my ass out of there, lock the door and throw away the key.
On 1/24/2018 8:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm surprised Alexa didn't say "STFU, you asked 3 times already"
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 9:46:39 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you that users talk to Alexa like that.
We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with B and it sure isn't Betty.
On 1/25/2018 12:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I hate the Alexa commercials on TV. Alexa, What is the weather like today. "Our" Alexa in the kitchen answers.
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 2:54:40 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Change the "wake word".
(Amazon.com product link shortened) 1971890

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)
Puckdroppern

That is right spelling.
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 10:55:40 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:

Unfortunately, according to Amazon (and Alexa - I asked her earlier this evening) there are only 4 choices:
Alexa Amazon Echo Computer
Apparently "Computer" is a fairly recent addition.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/23/alexa-adds-computer-wake-word-much-joy-star-trek-fans-everywhere/
Seems to me that of those choices "Echo" is probably the safest as far as limiting false positives.

You'd probably want to avoid the Amazon Echo "Silver". ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk

The device’s main feature? It’s super loud and responds to any name even remotely close to Alexa.
Alaina, Allegra, Aretha, Alisha, Alfonzo, Aldis, Arashel, Excederin... you get the idea.

Unless you happen to live in Illinois. His name still gets used every time they talk about political corruption (don't use "Hillary", either).
On 1/25/2018 9:55 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Unless things have changed, I got one of the original Echo's and preordered before they were available, I only had two name options, Echo or Alexa.