alexa in the shop

anyone tried alexa in the shop yet it might be useful for this

find me the closest and lowest price for water based white primer

add fifteen sixteenths plus four and five eighths

multiply five sixteenths by fourteen

Reply to
Electric Comet

good for a laugh

alessa where did i put that roll of duct tape

alexa which roll of duct tape you have seven rolls

Reply to
Electric Comet

thinking more on this they will need to make one for high noise and high dust environment

wondering if it can learn the background noise and still function

for example if you have the fan on or maybe music is playing or the windows are open and there is traffic noise or wind noise

Reply to
Electric Comet

She listens to me even while the TV is playing right above the pod.

She listens to me when music is playing. If she didn't how could she raise the volume, stop the music, pause to answer a question, etc.?

Sometimes she picks up ambient noises and responds. I was watching TV the o ther night and the character, using a southern accent, said "Relax, son".

The pod mistook "Relax, son" for "Alexa" and looked up some information bas ed on what the character said next. I said ?Alexa, stop" and she shut up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Dust? Put her in a bag She doesn't"t have see you, just hear you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

She listens to you whenever the NSA wants her to. ;-)

I can't remember the keywords but the local traffic reporter had Alexa go off several times during the traffic report a few weeks ago. It was pretty funny.

Reply to
krw

tv is white noise but technically it is not

put it in the shop with some shop noise and report back would expect it to filter out white noise with some training but never know

ruggedized alexa would be good offering they could add some other things to it

particulate reports it could measure the size and density and alert for n95 or higher or lower

could also measure hazardous volatile levels for painting

could also measure noise levels and alert to put on ear protection

temp and humidity would be useful too

should have an inventory system as well

you come back from the store and it scans the bar code

then as you use the materials you update inventory

would be good to have it store the location too

alessa hinges

which hinges

alessa two inch stainless hinges

there are two pairs of two inch stainless hinges and both are in a3

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:p4ah6f$tkm$3 @dont-email.me:

That's a ton of work for very little gain. Here's an absolute truth about storage: If you can't find it, you don't have it. No computer inventory system will help you out there.

Analyze, organize and build/purchase the proper storage holders and you'll be good.

If you want to buy an always-on internet connected microphone, do so. As for me and my shop, we'll avoid electronic nonsense such as always-on internet connected microphones and other Internet of Things (except security) devices.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That sentence makes about as much sense as white noise.

My shop is really quiet now that I got rid of my vacuum. I'm sure the sound of a broom won't bother Alexa at all.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No training required.

I placed Alexa on the router table.

I turned on the shop vac (inside a foam lined, 3/4 plywood cabinet). Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac on, turned on the router table (PC690 router), powered up a cordless drill. Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac on, turned off the router table, turned on the table saw, powered up a cordless drill. Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.

Left the vac and table saw on, turned on the TV (louder than I normally would) and turned on the stereo (louder than I normally would). Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac, TV and stereo on, turned off the table saw, turned on the router table. Asked Alexa for the forecast, did not get it. Yelled. Nothing. Yelled really loud, got the weather forecast. I then moved Alexa off of the router table to a spot about 5' away. Not closer to where I was standing, in fact farther away. I had to yell, but not as loudly as before to get the forecast.

So, based on the extreme scientific rigor of my testing, I will say that under (my) normal shop usage, which will typically consist of the enclosed vac, one power tool and either the TV or stereo, Alexa needs no training or enhancements to function normally.

BTW: If anyone ever catches me operating the router table and yelling for Alexa to give me the forecast at the same time, please kill the breakers for the shop receptacles, pull my ass out of there, lock the door and throw away the key.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm surprised Alexa didn't say "STFU, you asked 3 times already"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you are connected to the internet, some one is listening, whether by microphone, your telephone, or keyboard.

Reply to
Leon

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you that users talk to Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with B and it sure isn't Betty.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I hate the Alexa commercials on TV. Alexa, What is the weather like today. "Our" Alexa in the kitchen answers.

Reply to
Leon

Change the "wake word".

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)

Puckdroppern

Reply to
Puckdropper

That is right spelling.

Reply to
Markem

Unfortunately, according to Amazon (and Alexa - I asked her earlier this evening) there are only 4 choices:

Alexa Amazon Echo Computer

Apparently "Computer" is a fairly recent addition.

Seems to me that of those choices "Echo" is probably the safest as far as limiting false positives.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You'd probably want to avoid the Amazon Echo "Silver". ;-)

The device?s main feature? It?s super loud and responds to any name even remotely close to Alexa.

Alaina, Allegra, Aretha, Alisha, Alfonzo, Aldis, Arashel, Excederin... you get the idea.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Unless you happen to live in Illinois. His name still gets used every time they talk about political corruption (don't use "Hillary", either).

Reply to
krw