Electrical question about lathe

Can you tell from the photo whether this lathe is 3-phase? I am guessing yes, but I'm not sure.
http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/printable_lot_details.asp?lot75545&id !667
Thanks, Bill
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:06:09 -0500

best ask the seller
basing your buying decision on the answers here and you could experience extreme buyer remorse
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:17:09 -0800, Electric Comet

Check the power plug.

You can't tell anything from the plug, unless it is from a recent shop that was OSHA cognizant. I have seen many "home shop and small shop kludge" wiring. Anything that got voltage to the machine was OK. Can't relay on that. One way MIGHT be to examine the switch. If it only switched one leg it MIGHT be single phase. Or is there a contactor that is controlled by one only one leg, that controls 3 phase? From the pictures it looks like is was in some sort of industrial setting. This might indicate 3 phase. If a home setting it is unlikely that is 3 phase. Of course on a farm that may be 3 phase. ??????????????? Best to have the seller waranty what it is. CP
On 1/19/2018 3:06 PM, Bill wrote:

My gut tells me 120 volt, I don't think I have ever seen an outside 240 volt 3 phase outlet like the one it is plugged into.
On 1/19/2018 3:59 PM, Leon wrote:

But maybe that is all in doors with great lighting. Then all bets are off. ;~)
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 5:02:12 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

45&id!667

I'm guessing that's indoors. Nothing in that photo (the wooden floor, the receptacle box, the duct tape on the ducts, the slat wall, even the lathe itself) looks like it's spent any time outdoors.
Granted, I live where we actually have "weather" so I'm biased.

It's single phase 240 from what I see - a standard north american surface mount range plug or possibly drier plug from the sieventies?
On 1/19/2018 4:59 PM, Leon wrote:

I had three of them (480V 3ph) installed in places around our shop. It was for a welder.
Looking at the cord and switch though, I'd agree with you. Only thing I can be 100% sure about is the lathe is green.

By the size of the motor, and the plug, I'd say much more likely 240 single phase, myself.
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 3:06:33 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:

id!667

Email or call Scott Langston and ask. I've call them several times for mo re info, about items. Usually, someone at the item's location (If not the agent - Scott) will reply, fairly promptly. I think the telephone answer ing office is in Arizona, but not sure, though the main office is in York, Pa.
Just because the motor plate is not accessible, doesn't mean the motor phas e can't be known. Location-folks should readily know.
Scott Langston snipped-for-privacy@irsauctions.com 717-849-5047
Sonny

Best I can do.
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id `9&tab=3
Index of Oliver machines, I think your guess is right.
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 3:06:33 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:

Reserve not yet met! That seems odd, as per comparable items sold on this site. Also, $50 bid increments seems high, especially for the (again, comparable) present low bid amount.
If you go inspect it, check the tool rest carefully... make sure it's nice and sturdy and easy to maneuver.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Thank you (all) for your replies to my post/question! For some reason, my newsreader stopped downloading messages from this newsgroup and I had to resubscribe (hence, my delay). I noticed that the current bid has gone up to $350 +22% (buyer's premium and sales tax), but the price increments are now $25. This lathe has some sentimental value as I used one very much like it in high school. There are still 9 days until the auction closes, and I will watch and see what happens.
I noticed some concern (from another source) about it being "direct drive". Does that somehow may it more dangerous?
Cheers, Bill
On 1/21/2018 10:44 PM, Bill wrote:

Nothing from High School has sentimental value to me. Not even 5 days detention for smoking in the schoolyard.

I got 3 days suspension for that same crime. .. spent about half of it at the pool hall. John T.

+1 (other than SWMBO, of course ;-)
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 10:25:30 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hmmm. I am pretty sure at my High School we had a smoking section on the g rounds. Sidewalk area between the buildings. You would see 3-4-5 kids sta nding there smoking before or after school or at lunch. Don't think there was time between classes to light up. The kids smoking were not exactly th e top of the class.
Only time I got suspended in High School was for senior skip day where we w ent to the beach/lake. Dang school called my Mom and she said no she did n ot give me permission to miss school. I guess you could get retro active p ermission for skip day if your parents said they authorized you to miss sch ool. But they locked me in a room with other kids for the whole school day . Not really suspended from school. It was boring and miserable to sit qu ietly in the same room all day long. Always seemed counter productive to p unish kids that way. Take kids out of class and make it so they could not learn anything from the teachers that day? Wouldn't it be better to make t he kids go to class and learn all day? Punish all the kids by closing scho ol! What the heck.
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:52:00 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

We had a Senior Skip Day, too. All classes before us did, though none before had a 95% participation rate. The administration was mighty pissed the next day and, worse, almost all the parents approved of it so there wasn't a damned thing they could do about it. When the Dean of Girls (the battle-axe got the job of calling parents in my part of the alphabet) called my mother, you could see her face get red when mom told her that not only did she know where I was (at a state park about 50 miles away) but let me use her car so my girlfriend (now SWMBO) and I could go.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's a pretty severe penalty. At my high school they smoked in the "boys" rest room, and occasionally behind the arc-welding curtain. Sometimes the rest rooms were so crowded you could barely squeeze through to conduct any business..