Electrical question about lathe

Can you tell from the photo whether this lathe is 3-phase? I am guessing yes, but I'm not sure.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

best ask the seller

basing your buying decision on the answers here and you could experience extreme buyer remorse

Reply to
Electric Comet

My gut tells me 120 volt, I don't think I have ever seen an outside 240 volt 3 phase outlet like the one it is plugged into.

Reply to
Leon

By the size of the motor, and the plug, I'd say much more likely 240 single phase, myself.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Check the power plug.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

But maybe that is all in doors with great lighting. Then all bets are off. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

It's single phase 240 from what I see - a standard north american surface mount range plug or possibly drier plug from the sieventies?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'm guessing that's indoors. Nothing in that photo (the wooden floor, the receptacle box, the duct tape on the ducts, the slat wall, even the lathe itself) looks like it's spent any time outdoors.

Granted, I live where we actually have "weather" so I'm biased.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can't tell anything from the plug, unless it is from a recent shop that was OSHA cognizant. I have seen many "home shop and small shop kludge" wiring. Anything that got voltage to the machine was OK. Can't relay on that. One way MIGHT be to examine the switch. If it only switched one leg it MIGHT be single phase. Or is there a contactor that is controlled by one only one leg, that controls 3 phase? From the pictures it looks like is was in some sort of industrial setting. This might indicate 3 phase. If a home setting it is unlikely that is 3 phase. Of course on a farm that may be 3 phase. ??????????????? Best to have the seller waranty what it is. CP

Reply to
MOP CAP

Email or call Scott Langston and ask. I've call them several times for mo re info, about items. Usually, someone at the item's location (If not the agent - Scott) will reply, fairly promptly. I think the telephone answer ing office is in Arizona, but not sure, though the main office is in York, Pa.

Just because the motor plate is not accessible, doesn't mean the motor phas e can't be known. Location-folks should readily know.

Scott Langston snipped-for-privacy@irsauctions.com

717-849-5047

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Best I can do.

Index of Oliver machines, I think your guess is right.

Reply to
Markem

Reserve not yet met! That seems odd, as per comparable items sold on this site. Also, $50 bid increments seems high, especially for the (again, comparable) present low bid amount.

If you go inspect it, check the tool rest carefully... make sure it's nice and sturdy and easy to maneuver.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I see no reason for this lathe to be three phase. No need for reverse rotation.... phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

What!? How are you supposed to put the wood back on when you make a mistake? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Dammit. I cut it twice and it's still too short.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had three of them (480V 3ph) installed in places around our shop. It was for a welder.

Looking at the cord and switch though, I'd agree with you. Only thing I can be 100% sure about is the lathe is green.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

have doubts that these are really irs auctions

not that it matters a lot but still

is anything for real anymore

Reply to
Electric Comet

"IRS" stands for "Industrial Recovery Services", it's right there in the logo.

There used to be somebody online who was " snipped-for-privacy@TheCIA.net". It was amazing the number of people who thought that that was the Central Intelligence Agency and not "Complete Internet Access", a Boston ISP.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Many years ago, my wife met someone on a flight out of NYC. When he found out that we lived in Hyde Park, he asked who I worked for. She replied "IBM", to which he said he "worked for the CIA". Everyone around started looking at them. In Hyde Park, NY, the "CIA" is the Culinary Institute of America. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Thank you (all) for your replies to my post/question! For some reason, my newsreader stopped downloading messages from this newsgroup and I had to resubscribe (hence, my delay). I noticed that the current bid has gone up to $350 +22% (buyer's premium and sales tax), but the price increments are now $25. This lathe has some sentimental value as I used one very much like it in high school. There are still 9 days until the auction closes, and I will watch and see what happens.

I noticed some concern (from another source) about it being "direct drive". Does that somehow may it more dangerous?

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill