alexa in the shop

Unless things have changed, I got one of the original Echo's and preordered before they were available, I only had two name options, Echo or Alexa.

Reply to
Leon

Ask her. "Alexa, change wake word."

My Dot offered me 3 options: Echo, Amazon or Computer. I doubt it's device dependent.

I wish there were more choices.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ill check that but of course after almost 3 or so years of using Alexa I would probably forget the new wake work. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Well, with only 4 choices, and knowing it's no longer Alexa, I have faith that you'll figure it out. If not, just ask Alexa. Oh...wait...never mind. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Uh-huh see? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Been following this for a while.

Realized, that for me, "alexa in the shop" would be the better location.

Because I do not want it in my house.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and had a profit motive

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet on Mon, 5 Feb 2018

10:04:20 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put a microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the Internet?"

I'm not paranoid, I'm convinced.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Even worse, a camera and microphone that's controlled by Bezos, or similar.

My son gave us a Google speaker for Christmas. It still sits in its box. I have no idea what I would do with such a thing. Paperweight?

Reply to
krw

what could possibly go wrong

but mycroft mark ii does not spy on the customer

most people are convinced now and with spectre and meltdown and all the other treachery it is literally written in stone

i wonder when will intel be sending out our replacement chips

Reply to
Electric Comet

Sell it on e-bay and buy an Amazon Echo/Alexa. ;!) My wife uses it all the time in the kitchen.

Alexa put bread on the shopping list. That appears immediately on her shopping list on her iPhone, and can recite back every thing on the list. I test my glucose levels 2 hours after eating. I'll tell Alexa to set timer for 2 hours as a reminder. Alexa what is 483 x 453, she answers. And the all important question, Alexa how much does the earth weigh. You get the answer in Imperial and Metric. LOL

And we tell her to play Pandora for the dog when we are gone. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I like it when she tells me how much snow we are going to get. "You can expect 1.48" of snow." That type of precision helps me decide which shovel to get ready. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have a weather station that alarms me through it's app on my iPhone when we have received the first .004" of rain.

Reply to
Leon

Did it freak out when you got that snow? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's measurement came about6 hours later when the snow melted.

Strangely we had a sleet storm a few weeks ago. We had constant sleet from 7am to 4pm. It took 3 days for that to register.

Reply to
Leon

After you tell her to remind you to take your glucose readings, does she put Snickers bars on the shopping list? It's all marketing.

Hope your wife's name doesn't sound anything like "Earth". "Ethel weighs too much! Put down on the Snickers bar."

Reply to
krw

My son gave me one for Christmas. He said he thought I might worry about Amazon listening to me. I said hell no, Amazon, and everyone else deserves, no, needs, to listen to me. I have a lot to say and now I say it out loud, to Alissa, or Alexis, or whatever her freakin' name is...

Reply to
Jack

look for your material to show up on a sitcom soon no you will not receive residuals and that is what the small print is for

odessa no wait melissa

Reply to
Electric Comet

"A Portland family contacted Amazon to investigate after they say a private conversation in their home was recorded by Amazon's Alexa -- the voice-controlled smart speaker -- and that the recorded audio was sent to the phone of a random person in Seattle, who was in the family?s contact list..."

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Well at least people are starting to finally become aware. Albeit years late.

Google has been mining info for years and archiving it. Anything you do on it. "baby cam's hacked all the time. Even the ones with their one private communications. You could drive down a street and pick up on all the camera's, even easier with wifi and a potato chip antennae.

Then look at all the cloud hacks, and phone hacks. Banks, stores, all store your data, and your habits, desires, and lifestyles are easily determined by all the shared info.

And now, when you post your phone photo's the address is embedded right there. Useful for thieves. you should strip the info before posting anything.

Reply to
OFWW