alexa in the shop

FWIW, I have occasionally had to give Cortana time-out after she started talking back to the television.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Are you aware that speak commands in audible to people can be embedded in song, music, videos, etc. And it has been shown to be able to instigate an order? So it isn't wise to have your CC #'s stored online with various vendors.

Reply to
OFWW

Shown by whom? I'd like some more info on that, if only just to protect myself. Can you provide a cite?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Cortana's not that bright. It can't even turn on the Amazon music player, let alone buy anything.

And part of my job is making bots do things. It's not nearly as simple as TV shows make it out to be.

Reply to
J. Clarke

O.k Im gonna Break in here This is all a Gas about Alexa but I think I prefer Alexis "Joan Collins" of Dynasty. That's one B. You'd want on your side and not against You. Just a Thought. rick B.

Reply to
Rick the antique guy

For starters :(

OFWW

Of course not, but it is getting easier and easier as programs improve.

I can remember back when, when we embedded text in pictures, then added "features" to that hidden over several pictures, and then extracted and ran, this was back many years ago, about the time the whole terrorist thing took off in Iraq.

Some things are really easy and simple to those who have a bent towards creativity. Even back in the good old DOS days when some said things couldn't be done. LOL.

BTW, I have been out of that scene now for years, and now am way behind the times. We all just fade away...... :)

Reply to
OFWW

This is another one of those FUD deals. You are far more likely to drop dead of a heart attack than be effectively targeted by a cybercriminal working through a device that you possess.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Possibly, but I think of all the times when talking that my phone or watch thought I was taking to it and instituted a conversation. "Siri".

But then it got me to thinking if I was in a bad situation I could say, Seriously? Call 911? or similar that would open up my phone or watch so the cops could hear and track me down. :)

Reply to
OFWW

In principle you can. In practice I can't get "OK Google" to do anything except get confused.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually it has been on the news. TV commands placing orders with Alexa. Our Echo often responds to the Echo commercials. But that said, if yo did not authorize the purchase, you are not responsible for the purchase. It is best to not let any internet site store your CC number. I use one time CC number when I make purchases on line. CitiCards calls it virtual credit card.

Reply to
Leon

Poor example, dropping dead of a heart attach is a very common way of dying, and everyone dies. Maybe the same chance as winning the publishers clearing house sweepstakes.

Reply to
Leon

That's a great idea but Citi is on my "never do business with under any circumstances" list.

Reply to
krw

On Iphone I did but not with the number 911, for obvious reasons.

Even using the word "series" triggers Siri.

She can translate into French, and Spanish and maybe one or two other languages for now, but she doesn't always recognize all my words correctly. I love giving text messages by voice.

Reply to
OFWW

I like that idea, and I have been considering switching from WF to it because of all the internal problems they are going through.

Reply to
OFWW

I feel the same about Bank of America and their rigidity in favoring themselves over the consumer.

Can you put a few of your reasons up to think about?

Reply to
OFWW

Politics. Political correctness. However you want to put it. My business doesn't go to people/groups working directly against my interests, if I can possibly avoid it. I'm sure they don't care about my money but if there are enough of me, they might decide that banking is their business, not politics.

Reply to
krw

Hmmm. Something to think about and consider. I'll have to look for that. I have a tendency to react like you do in this regard.

Reply to
OFWW

This surprises me. Of all the voice devices I have, Google is by far the best. Rarely does it get confused and I use it all the time. Alexa gets confused often. Voice texting screws up more often than not. My Comcast Voice remote is shaky at best, particularly when telling it to Fast forward 4 minutes (past commercials). Rewind 20 seconds always works though.

I think Comcast got in trouble from advertisers as that made it too easy to skip commercials, and what used to work well, now suddenly only works half the time.

"OK Google" however never ceases to amaze me how well it works. Often you can watch it correct from what it thought you said to what you really said. Somehow it recognizes the context of your statement and gets it right 99% of the time.

Reply to
Jack