A Vac Hose Hack

Festool vac hoses and many like hoses tend to have a lot of rings/bumps along the length of the hose. The hose gets caught up on sharp edges, non rounded, very easily. Always problematic when dragging the hose over the edge of a project or work surface.
The fix works really well. With first use I never paid attention to the hose as it caught on nothing.
Festool solution.
https://www.festoolusa.com/accessory/201778---d-3222x10m-as-gqct-usa
My solution, credit goes to numerous YouTubers that have done this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/39615635904/in/dateposted-public/
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
A roll of 3m linerless rubber splicing tape works to hold the ends in place. And you need to heat the ends of the sleeve, after cutting, to prevent fraying. I use an old soldering iron.
Leon wrote:

Tell me it ain't so!! Using a cheap hack instead of the elegant solution provided by Festool! I won't sleep a wink tonight, worrying about you. Stay indoors, because you may get struck by a green thunderbolt.
--
G Ross

On 2/17/2018 7:14 PM, G Ross wrote:

;~) This is how I afford Festool.

Staying indoors? Staying inside keeps you focused on your work? ;-)
On 2/18/2018 9:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

No!
On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 7:56:13 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

What size hose does the 1.5" sleeve fit? Mine are 2..5". Will the 1.5" sleeve work?

I think that would be too large for this size sleeve. I barely will fit over the larger / back end of the hose.
BUT! This stuff comes in all sizes.
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 05:41:49 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I had the same question. The description says that the stuff will expand up to 150%, so it'll expand to 2.25" (still enough for the hose and cord?) Note that it'll be something like 30% shorter when expanded. There are different sizes of this stuff, too. I noticed others that are also similar things that are more of a foam sheet with a Velcro strip closure.
On 2/18/2018 9:43 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

The specs sound right, the roll I got was plenty to do 2 hoses, maybe 3.
On 2/18/2018 7:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Those braided sleeves are typically rated at 150% expansion so 1.5" X 1.5 --> 2.25". _BUT_, that's a maximum that you can possibly manage to get the sleeve over in my experience so you'd need to go up to larger sleeve.

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 10:47:34 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Yeah, I'm used to that. I've always needed larger sleeves to fit over my my huge biceps.
http://cdn.toonvectors.com/images/35/12218/toonvectors-12218-940.jpg
On 2/18/2018 8:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you really need an answer? Can you squeeze 10lbs of shit in a 2lb bag?
--
Jeff

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 11:51:53 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Seriously?
When you are ready to talk apples to apples, come on back and we can have a meaningful discussion.
On 2/18/2018 10:51 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Before freeze dried no. After. :~)

Man, like that's some heavy shit!