Constant shop vac filter clog

I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

If you want something reasonably priced that works with a shop vac, <https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/10-cv06-mini .
If you really want to roll your own, <http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/
On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 8:45:43 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

I use a Dust Deputy:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I bought a 5 gallon bucket from my local Grainger store. They carry a model that is thicker than the Home Depot/Lowes buckets. My Ridgid vac could crush the Depot/Lowes buckets.
Not a spec of saw dust ends up in the vac.
On 6/11/2019 8:34 PM, Meanie wrote:

I just use these expensive paper bags in my Fein to collect the big stuff and their HEPA filter to keep anything escaping (plaster dust, for example) from blowing through and have no problem with clogging. You don't say what sort of filtration your vac has. Maybe that is the basis of the problem.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 6/11/2019 9:13 PM, John McGaw wrote:

How are you using the paper bag in a shop vac? I'm still using the original paper filter that came with the vac.
I do have a dust collection system for my bigger tools but use the shop vac for smaller hand tools and of course to clean the shop mess.
On 6/11/2019 10:25 PM, Meanie wrote:

Don't know what you mean by "how". The bags in question are meant for the vacuum in question -- see the little port in the side of the bag where the hose feeds in. The paper is thin and has a very large surface area, doubled over in the large canister, and the motor is very powerful so it just sucks air through the bag's surface leaving the dross behind inside. Anything super-fine that gets through the bag is trapped by the HEPA filter. Theoretically I don't think that both methods are meant to be used together but I do it anyway. I don't know if your vac has any such option but mine, being German, is probably over-engineered (probably over-priced too but nothing I can do about that).
I found that my DC _did_ get clogged by fine dust when I was doing a lot of heavy sanding and the bag had to be beaten to loosen it. I set up a kludge with a second bag and that alleviated the problem but didn't eliminate it.
On 6/12/2019 9:46 AM, John McGaw wrote:

The bag looks like one for an upright vacuum which is why I asked. Shop vacs (at least mine and most) have the conical filter which wraps around the center exhaust. I've never seen a bag for one.

It may be a European thing. Festool vacs use bags too.
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 20:52:12 -0400, J. Clarke

One of the BORG vacs (Ridgid) I bought has a bag. I was rather surprised by it.
On 6/12/2019 11:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I now have 2 Ridged vacs, and both have canisters. They're around 5 years old, not sure. My very old ShopVac has a bag though. The bag worked just as well as the canister, far as I can tell, but was easier to clean.
--
Jack
On 6/12/2019 8:52 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

My 40+ year old American made, wet or dry ShopVac used bags. I just brushed them off and used them until they got holes in them. No hepa crap, no dust, just lots of ear bleeding noise. I finally gave up on waiting for the damned thing to break, and replaced it with a nice, quiet Ridged. I'm trying to throw away the ShopVac, but have trouble throwing anything away, particularly if it works.
--
Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8jXS8Fjh8

On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 9:47:34 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:

I'd like to see what happens when the hose end gets stopped up and all the force hits those connections. Having seen how much a wet-dry vac can distort those 5 gallon buckets, I wouldn't expect too much longevity with that set-up.
On 6/11/2019 10:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I would use larger fittings for this project not only to ease the flow but the larger shop vacs have 2" hoses. I assume he made it to fit a smaller vac which he uses.

Matthias kicks it up a few notches and adds a Thein baffle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xhYnWDCd0

I use a DustDeputy for my shop vac and a garbage can (lid) separator for a 2HP dust collector. Both work very well.
On 6/11/2019 10:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

That's two votes for the Dust Deputy. I'll have to consider if I don't feel like making my own.
Thanks
On 6/12/19 5:59 AM, Meanie wrote:

I had the same issues with an old (70's) Craftsman vac with a pleated filter. Easy enough to knock clean but constantly "doing its job".
This vac is now dedicated to my ROS and I use the small dust deputy designed for a 5-gallon bucket. The DD is expensive for what it is but after waiting for some good coupon/shipping deals I feel _ok_ about the price. Functionally it is excellent and I only bother to clean the filter when my bucket gets about half full and needs to be emptied. I used the Rockler hose/adapter kit for the connections from the DD to my ROS and router, also expensive but totally functional. Your project after getting these parts will be to construct a cart to combine the vac and DD into a unit that wont tip over and can still be portable/wheeled to where you need it.
This is one of those things where spending some money up front creates something that you wish you had done long ago. You can build your own cyclone and save some $$, just depends on your time/money ratio.
-BR
On 6/15/2019 9:42 AM, Brewster wrote:

Sometimes I'm cheap, other times I'm not, though much depends on the cost. Much has to do whether I want to spend the time building or simply buying. At around $50 for the DD, I may just buy.
On 6/11/2019 7:34 PM, Meanie wrote:

These filters, because of an old inferior vac design will always clog quickly. I had one and bought the expensive replacement filter. The only thing I gained was a faster to clean filter. I had to unclog it just as often.
All better vacs, home, shop, what ever, have the debris go into the bag and then the filter works on the fine dust that passes through the collection bag.
If you stick with a typical shop vac you need to use something like a cyclone prefilter,
Festool and probably Fein have all debris go straight into the bag and the exhaust then passes through a HEPA filter. My 10 year old Festool HEPA filters have never been cleaned and appear to never need to be cleaned.
FWIW my CT 22 Festool Vac gets used on all of my Festool sanders, Track Saw, and Domino. I do not run any of these tools with out that Festool vac. I change bags, on a heavy year of usage, twice a year and then I toss them. Keep in mind this does not collect planer, drum sander, lathe, or table saw dust. The Festool bags are very efficient, the 22 liter bag is packed solidly full before I notice any loss in suction.