Constant shop vac filter clog

rec.woodworking the following:

    Easy plan is that somewhere upstream of the filter, put a "box" which is much larger than the hose, where in the 'larger' chunks fall out. With baffles you can cause eddies in the air flow which will allow more dust to "fall out".     Or buy a small cyclone unit to do the same thing.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 14:26:51 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Baffles will increase the air resistance, thus drop the suction appreciably.

Much better but TANSTAAFL.
On 6/12/2019 11:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

True but all you need is to get the air spinning in a circular pattern and let the heavier than air dust fall to the sides, with the clean, lighter air sucked up the middle. That's how cyclones work, no need to get too fancy.

Not exacly true. See jbstein.com.
--
Jack
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Wed, 12 Jun 2019 23:12:39 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    The formula is that time vs money is a constant. What you save on one, you make up in the other.     Sometimes, buying "this one" is less expensive than driving all over town to find a less expensive one. Or buying rather than building means you're done, and can get onto the next thing on your list.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 16:50:42 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Not sure what your point is but baffles just don't work. The increase in resistance just can't be offset.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Thu, 13 Jun 2019 21:27:53 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Perhaps "baffles" was the wrong word. Something to direct the air flow in a direction so that gravity can work "for you".
--
pyotr filipivich
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:10:15 -0700, pyotr filipivich

But for gravity to work, you have to slow the air flow. That will increase resistance and lower suction. Remember, that unlike a compressor, no matter how much HP you throw at a vacuum, you can only get to 1ATM. Any loss is gone forever. Cyclone separators work because the heavier particulates are thrown out of the air stream without reducing the air velocity (as much).
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 15 Jun 2019 09:30:27 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Ah. Note to self, that's how cyclones work.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 6:30:32 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Maybe, BUT any blockage that makes vortices will accelerate the chips (and the air), as does a centrifugal separator. The high-dust-content outer edge of the vortex is where wall collisions stop the woodybits. It's just a balance against how much suction you lose when the chips CLOG THE FINAL FILTER.
A real centrifugal separator can whirl so fast that even the smallest particles hit the sidewalls, while the (lower pressure center of the) vortex is flowing the near-clean air through the final filter stage. That sucks up lots of power, just like baffles would.
Me, I work outdoors over a deck with gaps, and my nostrils are higher than the dust sources. The dust is mainly on the shoes.
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    I work over gravel and grass.
--
pyotr filipivich

That's what I did with my regular dust collector. That was way before the internet telling me it wouldn't work without huge horsepower, and all that stuff.
I figured when the high pressure/velocity in the small intake hose hit the 40 gallon drum (essentually a 22" hose) the pressure drop would cause the sawdust to drop out into the drum. Next, I figured the intake hoses should direct the dust in a circular manner, around the outside of the drum, causing the heavier stuff to fall to the sides. This has served me well over the years, and I hook all my large machinery up to it w/o problems, including jointer, planer, TS. Almost no sawdust gets to the collector which is about 25 feet away, though all sorts of turns and twists.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/dc1020457.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/dc1020458.jpg
I have since these pictures added a 4" hose for my 15" planer, and 3" hose for my 6" jointer. It never clogs up, but the collector does get fine powder in it and needs cleaned a couple times a year. I don't hook my 48" belt, 10" disk sander to it anymore, but just use the shop vac as that fine powder does get through more than I'd like.
This collector doesn't have a 200 hp diesel engine powering it however, and would be what most would consider under powered, but it sure works and that's what I care about. My collector is high volume, low pressure whereas a shop vac is low volume high pressure.

I've seen lots of Youtube videos of these, including the Thein baffle, and they don't seem to work any better than my system, some a little worse. I've been thinking of making a smaller setup like this for one of my shop vacs, but really, I don't empty them but once it a while since most of the work is done by my big collector. The fine dust (powder) you get from sanding is going to get to your filter without Herculien effort to remove it first. That's why they have filters on them. My shop vacs can handle the dust on the filters rather well, and I can easily fill up the small 5 gallon can with dust covering the filter.
Also, my pictures show el fittings in the drum, but I noticed my shop vacs just have a straight pipe with an endcap, and a hole/notch cut in the side to direct the air around the outside of the drum, that would be easy to implement as well.
--
Jack
in rec.woodworking the following:

    Primo!