How to raggle a brick wall?

I'd like to raggle the brick wall in my bathroom to accept a 15mm pipe for a shower. What is the best method to cut the raggle?

I tried a bolster and hammer, but think I'm likley to knock the wall down using this method!

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

================================== Hire or buy a 'wall chaser' like this:

cut two parallel grooves with an ordinary angle grinder and chisel out the waste between the grooves. Be prepared for a lot of dust whichever method you use.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Wow - that's some machine! I think I'll use my angle grinder - what type of disc would you recommed for the job?

Mark

Reply to
mark.hannah

================================== Diamond - quicker than standard abrasive and slightly less dust although I don't think you'll really notice!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Many thanks!

Reply to
mark.hannah

Oh, now there is a term I had not heard before ;-) I guess you mean how do you cut a chase...

It will work, but is 'kin hard work if the bricks are hard. Wall chaser or SDS are your best bets. Detail covered here:

you are going to try the angle grinder approach then read the warnings about dust and take note! You can reduce the dust created a little by having an assistant position a vacuum nozzle just under the cutting disc for you as you work.

Failing that, the wall chaser that Cicero linked to (its the model I use) will make practically no dust at all if hooked up to a decent vacuum.

Reply to
John Rumm

Given the context I thought it ('raggle') was a strange corruption of 'rebate / rabbet' but clearly not:

learn something new every day and forget as much too!

Cic.

=================================== Using Ubuntu Linux Windows shown the door ===================================

Reply to
Cicero

fair enough...

or worse, forget more!

Reply to
John Rumm

You cut raggles with an angle grinder and a normal stone cutting disk. Diamond disks are too narrow to get the lead in easily.

This isn't a raggle though, if it's big enough to put a pipe in -- that's a chase. Raggles are narrow slots, as used for flashing.

When cutting chases in these days of power tools, the question isn't how to cut it (that's now easy) but how to cut it with the least flying dust. For that reason, if you're working in a house that's already decorated, it's worth hiring a twin-disk chaser with a built in dust hood. You can do the job in minutes with an angle grinder, but you'll spend hours clearing up afterwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Is that when the lady of the house looses her raggle ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

'Raggle' appears to be Scots, though the Scottish Dictionary gives its roots as medieval English. The most likely looking source is the Latin 'regula' for a straight line.

I have heard the word but not for a long time.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

What vacuum John? I find the Henry does not like fine dust. I know it only take a minute to bang the filter clean. Am I expecting too much of the vacuum?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Anything with a filter or bag will hate plaster dust - new gypsum plaster being worse than old lime stuff.

I usually use either a pre-filter cyclone on a ordinary shop vac (a henry would be ok here), but even that clogs in time due to the finest stuff getting through my (none to sophisticated cyclone):

a quick job I use my Dyson. In the case of my old DC01 it is better with the HEPA filter removed - some dust will get through but not much. My DC14 however will capture pretty well anything without noticeable filter clogging.

If doing it day in and day out then perhaps one of the cyclone collectors as used by chimney sweeps would work quite well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, BTDTGTTS as well, it creates an amazing amount of dust - or rather once it's all trapped in a room as opposed to being allowed to blow away you notice how much there is.- I could hardly see where I was cutting. I'd not do it again.

I'd either get a chaser, or use the SDS depending on the size of the job.

Reply to
chris French

Well mine did complain about the dust when I had to sand the walls of the hallway recently. But since my doing it was her idea and prior to beginning to strip the wallpaper I did warn her much work might be required to get a paintable surface. As time moved on though her patience did wear thin...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Used the angle grinder with a diamond disc - did the job a treat - created a lot of dust - we had to evacuate the house at one point and watch it billowing out of the windows and doors.

And I get to repeat the fun again soon because it turns out now that the chase/raggle may well be in the wrong position. :-(

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

replying to Cicero, kenny wilson wrote: use scutching chisel it has teeth to let u cut the brick in smaller parts cost small chisel £4 large chisel £6 hope that helps that is what iam using just now

Reply to
kenny wilson

Brilliant! 9 years later I'm sure that the info that Cicero has been waiting for, numpty.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

they always seem to post from websites skimming the content. Mr Wilson, sea rch for a newsgroup called uk.d-i-y. That's us.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I expect you'll need to explain the difference between a newsgroup and a website ...

Reply to
Andy Burns