Sky Telephone wiring

We have been with sky TV for a number of years and disconnected the telephone a number of years ago. We have got a sky + box coming this week so I tried to reconnect the Telephone. Jjust put the 2+5 connections/blue+white cables into the main socket. Our normal phone rings out but will not ring in ? 2 questions. Are thse the right connections, does the sky connection require and other cables to connect.

  1. will sky require me to connect the telephone line for the first 12 Months as it did originally. only up grading to Sky+ not changing contract etc
Reply to
sndevereux

Cores 2, 3 and 5 are used IIRC, but core 3 is only needed if you're not connecting via a filter, or have an older phone that requires 3 to be connected - I think :-}

Have you got filters on all the phones in the house ? (if not, I think that's the starting point)

There's more on the subject in one of the threads on improving your connection over at skyuser.co.uk

Not sure about the contract etc, but perhaps the above site can help on that too :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

That is assuming the OP has broadband of course, heck the OP might not even have a computer at home - considering (s)he is posting from a .shc.uk domain!... :~)

Reply to
:Jerry:

Some phones won't ring if the polarity is wrong. Try swapping pins

2+5.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Phones are polarity insensitive, it will make no difference which way around they are connected. The only telephone device I've ever come across which was polarity sensitive was some 12 years ago and was one particular Modem card imported from the USA It broke FCC regulations by being polarity sensitive - hence the manufacturers dumped all their stock in the UK.

No ringing signal on the Sky extension is because pin 3 isn't connected.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Sounds normal behaviour for a phone expecting the "ring" wire, some phones do some phones don't...

Look at:

a good description of UK telephone wiring.

Might be better to ask the Sky+ related questions in a group dedicated to such things.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

:-

was indeed a modem that I had this problem with way back when... It wouldn't answer incoming calls until I swapped the polarity!

Most modern phones don't need the ring wire though do they?

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Some phones/fax will ring all the time if 2 & 5 are reversed and 3 connected.

BT downlead A - connector 5 0volts - white trace blue Bt downlead B - connector 2 -48 volts (minus 48v) - blue trace white Robert

Reply to
robert

Some do some don't - it's that precise :-) Most BT badged phones and many Panasonic, Siemens and Philips need the ringing wire regardless of age. Most newer unbranded phones don't.

Reply to
Peter Parry

snipped-for-privacy@pensbyboys.wirral.sch.uk declared for all the world to hear...

I have never had my sky box or my sky+ box plugged into the telephone line.

Reply to
Jon