Cable connectors for telephone wiring

I'm in a house that originally had telephone services supplied by NTL but now has them supplied by BT. There are NTL sockets in the living room and bedroom which connect to the incoming cable in a brown box in the cellar. My plan is to connect the new BT master socket (living room) to the old NTL socket (living room) and in turn connect that socket to the NTL socket in the bedroom - in a daisy chain. Not difficult to do since most of the wiring already exists BUT I need to join cable together without using a junction box (there's no place for the box to go - the wiring has to be inside the brown box). The existing wiring is joined using little IDC plastic connectors, similiar to those used when joining electrical wiring. Trouble is, I can't find these connectors or anything similiar anywhere. Suggestions please.

Reply to
Sneezy

A method I find useful, is to solder them. Find some sleeving which is a good fit on the wire, push a short bit onto each of the wires, strip a few mm. Lay the two wires to be joined along side each other axially and solder, then just slide the sleeving over the joint. Finally serve the joined wires over the top, with some tape.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Before you do this make sure that you disconnect the wires which head off to NTL. Just because those wires might not be connected at the local junction box in the road doesn't mean that they might not become connected at some indiscriminate point in the future - even NTL engineers make mistakes!

I've done the opposite here - the place was wired for BT with extensions in the bedroom and study. I changed to NTL, and in order to use the BT extensions I had to cut off the links to the BT world.

PoP

PoP

Commonly known as Jellybeans (Cable Connector 8A). E-mail me your address and I'll send you a few.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I asked this question a while ago and managed to track down the beasties in the end with help from various folk round here!

They are a type of skotchlok connector. Pop over to

and type 239-3988 into the search box.

Ignore the silly price that RS want for the crimp tool - an ordinary pair of pliers will work fine (in fact you can even crimp them by hand I found!)

Failing that, for a "one off" joint, then as Harry said, solder and a bit of heatshrink will do the trick nicely.

If you need to make a waterproof joint on something like phone cable I found the following technique works well:-

You will need two sizes of heatshrink - a small one for the individual wire joints, and a larger one that will cover the whole cable. You also need a hot melt glue stick. Solder and sleeve the inner wires as normal (remember to slide the overall sleeve over the cable first as well!) Take your glue stick and shave some fine slivers off it with a sharp knife - insert these into outer heatshrink as you position it over the join. Now when you heat the sleeve the glue melts and encapsulates the joint while at the same time bonding the sleeving to the joint making it all waterproof.

(Failing that, buy some of the ready made heat shrink that already contains the hot melt glue!)

Reply to
John Rumm

For waterproof joints, I tend to use Self Amalgamating Tape (3M). For those who have not come across this stuff, it is like a roll of rubbery material, with plastic in the roll to stop it sticking together. The idea is to pull it to stretch it, as you wind it around your joint, to about twice its original length. This causes it to amalgamate into a solid rubber like 'blob' which is completely waterproof and sticks tightly to almost anything.

It is not UV proof, so it therefore requires a final covering of ordinary tape.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A little like the contents of your skull, eh?

I do realize you've been set up, Harry, by people with agendas deeper than yours, but you should've considered this before you got involved.

Fuck off.

Reply to
Dana Gale

Harry suggest joining wires by soldering them.

How utterly fascinating.

Go ahead, eat them. They'll do you good.

Fuck off, Harry.

Reply to
N. Medina

Is your life really so empty that you have to keep this up?

Reply to
Huge

I have always found the SA tape I use (CPC I think) is OK with UV exposure... bit fiddly on fine wires though...

Reply to
John Rumm

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

Please, no more sick extended metaphor euphemisms.

Reply to
Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip

Is your life really so empty that you have to poke your nose in?

Reply to
Elinor G. Snow

Oh, the depravity!

Reply to
Phil Kyle

Although cannabis has been lowered to Class C it's still illegal, Harry.

Reply to
Phil Kyle

Harry has filled the hole. So to speak.

Reply to
Phil Kyle

Hey, f*****ad, this is a public place. I don't have a great deal of choice but to read your droolings, since you mung the headers to avoid killfiling, the sure sign of anencephaly.

Now f*ck off and die.

Reply to
Huge

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Phil Kyle, and I thusly replied:

So why is he hiding in uk.d-i-y ?

I'm beginning to smell a rat, especially amongst all the "new" faces we've seen in URC lately. Could Harry be amongst them, no longer brave enough to post under his own name after being the cause of such carnage?

Reply to
Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip

PoP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah. Interesting wiring on NTL's part. The brown box in the cellar feeds the junction box in the bedroom using 6 core wiring. All 6 wires are connected in the bedroom but only four in the cellar. I've ended up drawing a diagram so I can get my head around what to snip, what to connect, and what to leave alone. First thing I did was disconnect NTL. It's interesting that they don't have a master socket that delimits where the supplier's responsibility ends and the customer's begins - like BT do.

Reply to
Sneezy

John Rumm wrote in news:ap4Vb.788$ snipped-for-privacy@stones.force.net:

Oh dead chuffed. It's too dark to see in the cellar but looking at the picture I think I can now see how the little things work. You shove the wires in and press it shut. Not IDC at all.

Reply to
Sneezy

snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dsl.pipex.com:

But no tool needed though. From what I can gather, IDC is a term for a class of connector rather than, as I originally thought, a connector in itself.

Reply to
Sneezy