Telephone Wiring

This a question abbout telephone wiring on a UK phone system.

I used to have a BT phone in my house an this was connected directly to the master phone socket using the cable that came with the phone. When the house was re-floored they but this cable under the new wooden floor. This cable worked OK with my old BT phone but wehn I connected a new Cable and Wireless phone to this cable it would not work and I got no dial tone. The new phone will work when I connect the new cable that came with it directly to the socked but I want to find a way of using the cable under the floor with my new phone if possible. This cabled has two wires. I have tried reversing the poalrity of these to see if this would make a difference but this has not worked. Does anybody know of something that I can do to enable me to use my new phone with the cable supplied with the older BT phone.

BTW the older phone is less than one year old.

Reply to
Max

Main Man

From a US resident not familiar with UK telephone wiring.

What is the advantage or purpose of having the ring capacitor external to the phone and running 3 wires to each phone extension?

Just curious...

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Thanks for that. From reading this I thought that all I had to do was use an extension box to swap the wires around. However, this does not seem to have worked. Have you any idea why this might be ?

Reply to
Max