wiring BT Telephone Extension Socket

I am trying to fit an extension socket for my fax machine. I have bought the wall fixing socket from Homebase but the instructions use the colour code: Green with White Ring (if present) to (1):Blue with White Ring to (2) Orange with white ring to (3) White with green ring (if present) to ( 6) White with blue ring to (5) & White with orange ring to (4)
I have cannibilised a cable from an extension cable but the colours are plain white, green, blue, red.
Anyone knows what colour goes where?

If you are using non standard colours it does matter at all so long as the colour goes to the same pin number at each end
Tony

Thanks for prompt reply. The problem is that the other end disappears into a plug and I cannot see what colour goes to what pin even if I knew what the pin numbers were at the plug end.
Merryterry wrote:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
--
Cheers,

John.

It looks as though the telephone extension cable I purchased from the shitbags at Homebase is using alarm cable, (multi-strand and different colours) rather than proper telecoms cable which the above link tells me should be single core copper cable. I will go back and wrap it round their neck.
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:23:35 -0700 someone who may be Merryterry

What sort of kit is it? Since you mention a plug I assume that this is the sort with a plug at one end to plug into an existing socket.
What sort of connectors are in the socket? Some do have screw terminals; though most have IDC for which solid core cable is essential.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

It was a plug and loose socket kit that I purchased and then cut the socket off to connect to a wall mounted socket. The wall mounted socket has screw terminals. I think the extension kit, (plug & loose socket) they flogged me is cheap alarm cable (multi strand) rather than proper telecoms cable, (single core). Cheap chinese crap probably. Could someone confirm that proper telecoms cable is single core?

Yes.
If the wall socket has screws, then the stranded cable can be connected to it.
If you have a multil meter, looking down at the plug with the cable going away from you, the four small contact strips number 2,3,4,5 left to right and then you will be able to identify which colour wire goes under which screw.
Andy

Thanks Andy and everyone else thats helped. I have a multi meter and I will try that when I can get out to my toolshed after the rain stops.
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:43:35 -0700 someone who may be Merryterry

It is these days, but it was stranded in the distant past.
The question is whether the pairs are twisted to reduce crosstalk. If they are not then it is not telephone cable. Note that the twisting is not great for telephone cable compared to network cable.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Merryterry wrote:

Well the stranded stuff is the correct wire for flexible extension leads - like used on the phone itself. Some of the extension kits that "plug in" to the existing wiring also use flex for the first connection since it is difficult to terminate the solid core stuff to a plug reliably.
Either way, the actual colours don't matter, so long as you make the corresponding pins.
--
Cheers,

John.