Grouting - finishing

I have just finished my first tiling task but I am not too happy with the grouting - mainly because I did the job in phases. Some of the grouting is a bit rough and I wonder if anyone has ideas for smoothing it a bit - I was wondering about using green scouring pads to even it up. Any suggestions?
John wrote:

Lightly sponge over it when the grout is still partially wet. If you have let it go off completely then you may have to rake out the top layer and regrout.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:04:32 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

If made to the instructions i.e. double cream consistency and leave for 5 minutes then apply (with a grout float at about 45 degress to the grout lines) etc.etc then about 60 minutes from the time you start grouting to the time to remove the 'clay'. This sort of grout is at about the right hardness to remove from the surface but not from the grooves. After another hour or two you can go over with a old dry clean towel to get a 'result'.

Mmm - mine was ready mixed. It seemed to either crumble and drag out - or set hard.

Past sell-by date or room too warm?