Finishing Oak Baseboards

If you did a good job sanding, the Danish oil would be a fine way to go. The stuff stinks to high heaven, is toxic and the used rags can spontaneously combust, but you probably already know that.

Most people would go with a polyurethane, but the Danish oil is easier to repair and I think it looks a lot better.

RicodJour

Hello,

I have stripped the red oak baseboards in a room of my 1920's house and are now wondering how best to finish them. They are sanded down to bare wood, and I am not interested in staining them.

I was thinking of using Danish Oil; anyone have experience using that on oak baseboards (and two door frames, as well)? Other suggestions?

Thanks for you help!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Riley

Tried & True finishes are based on pure linseed oil, without any of the

I've never seen that "green" Danish oil, and can't comment on its quality. When people say Danish oil they are frequently refering to a Watco product (great stuff, BTW), or something similar. This from the Watco MSDS: Acute Health Effects: From MSDS Inhalation: A burning sensation in the nose and throat, cough, a feeling of difficulty in breathing. Also headache, dizziness, staggering gait, confusion, unconsciousness or coma. Eye Contact: Primary irritation. Skin Contact: Primary irritation Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation and nausea. Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Anesthesia, respiratory tract irritation, dermatitis, nausea, vomiting.

RicodJour

As you will be the one living with it whatever you prefer is best.

Just remember that stain is not just for color but also can help hide/fill some flaws, and protect the wood if it's in a room where sunlight hits it. Also all oil will darken wood over time, and you will have to keep maintaining it.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

We stained oak base boards with a light oil stain and when dry sprayed with clear lacquer. That was 10 years ago and it still looks great. WW

Reply to
Warren Weber

Danish oil is not really toxic.

& True finishes are based on pure linseed oil, without any of the petroleum-based solvents or heavy-metal driers that are typically added to products labeled as "boiled linseed." Joe Robson, an experienced cabinetmaker and finisher in upstate New York, crafted the Tried & True formulas to match the quality of finish of fine antique furniture. His finishes are made with techniques similar to those used by varnish makers in the mid-1800s.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski