External Oak Doors (OLD) Decorating.

Aproperty at which I do first line maintenance has 2 large exterior oak doors, anything between 200 - 400 years old. The exterior of the prop has been redecorated but not the doors. They now spoil the look of the place. The doors have been treated with something at some time, the top third (Unweathered) is a golden colour, most of the rest bare oak, and the bottom 6" grey coloured due to weather.

Any suggestions for restoring doors to uniform finish. Danish oil or linseed oil has been suggested as a finish, and using bleach on bottom weathered part to lighten it.

Reply to
ALHO

Hi,

If the wood has been weathered or damaged by UV, the main options are sanding, bleaching, and then possibly dyeing it to suit. Oxalic acid is the main wood dye:

Also try a search on Google:

and the forums on

Danish oil is fine as a finish where it can be 'topped up' periodically, Deks Olje is good if a bit pricey:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

If the top is a golden colour it's extremely doubtful that they are very old at all. Especially not oak which is suprisingly non-durable in exposed conditions unless oiled etc. Oak doesn't take paint too well - painted pine lasts longer. If there is no paint and the surface has had the same treatment all over in the past then the best thing is raw linseed oil half and half with real turpentine. There is no way you can conceal the different weathering effects unless you paint them. I certainly wouldn't attempt bleach, or sanding etc, especially if they really are that old.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

I think a company, like the one that makes Nitromors, does a product that restorers use on all types of old and antique wood structures. Maybe a search on the web for timber or wood restoration will bring up some good hits for you to follow.

Reply to
BigWallop

period property forum is where the xperts hang out.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

sandblast and re-stain with favorite stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Im not ure if youre kidding or serious, but this is definitely not the thing to do.

uk.d-i-y has a truly remarkable wealth of expertise, but the one area that seems to be lacking here is expertise on period buildings.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Notes on sand blasting here;

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Doors arent quite like beams of course. Well its the OPs choice...

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In article , jacob writes

LOL Nice site, I lost my bookmark when you moved the site, now refreshed, thanks.

Reply to
fred