White Oak doors - maintaining "light" colour

New doors fitted. Howdens "linear oak" internal and a front door.

Varnished the outside face of the external door with their suggested Sadolin Clearcote satin but as expected the "white" colour has gone a deep golden colour.

Now the lady of the house keeps on saying she "hates" that brown/yellow colour the existing doors have gone and blames it on the danish oil I treated them with 8+ or more years ago! As I pointed out, the completely un-treated skirting boards are even darker, it's what wood does.

Apparently "the doors on Coronation street are light" LOL

Howdens say their doors are not suitable for wax/oil treatment as it doesn't fully seal the doors and they need to be varnished as soon as possible..

Apart from one solution I read ontheline of adding white dye to the varninsh before application is there any chance of magically preventing white/light oak from darkening?

I did read that water based clear varnish has a reduced darkening effect compared to solvent varnish but I fail to see how it's possible to keep them "light" either permanently or for any length of time.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk