Help - damaged the self assembly bookcase

In a momentarily loss of concentration I picked up the 1" screws to attach a fixing when I should have used the 1/2" screws - so I've broken through to the other side of a chipboard laminated bookcase.

I've put the right screws in now and sod's law determined that when everything was completed the damage is on an upper and visible surface.

Any tips on hiding it? I've tapped the protrusions down a bit but wonder if they should be soaked in water or maybe a bit of wood glue.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Can you glue some decorative discs on? One on the damage and perhaps 3 others completely symmetric so it looks like it is part of the design?

Reply to
Tim Watts

  1. Is there an area that will be unseen that you could carefully prise of a piece of the veneer and shape this to fit the hole.
  2. Use filler to get flush and then coloured pencils to match.
Reply to
ss

fit something decorative to it

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If its crap chipboard everything you do will just make it look worse in my experience.

It very much depends on what the surface finish is. Mostly its splintery plastic veneer in which case its knackered. I guess you could try the manufacturers and see if they can let you have a new part. To hide this sort of thing I've often put them as the top shelf when its taller than you or your friends are, or inverted it, but often there is a wrap joint on the other side where the veneer is joined, which is more ugly than the hole. This is where those Allen key assembly systems score over screws I guess. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Like a book?

Reply to
ARW

Obtain a small piece of edge-banding tape matching the finish of the panel. The tape will have melty glue on it. cut a disc from the tape and carefully position it over the damage and use an iron to melt the adhesive. The result won't be invisible but should be neat and look like it has a purpose

You may be able to remove a small piece of tape from a non-visible edge, otherwise ebay. gentle and careful with the heat, through a sheet of paper. You don't want your patch sliding about leaving gluey smears. You will have to make sure you have flattened the area by cramp or hammer blow beforehand. A well cut disk, with edges softened with fine abrasives will make a lot of difference to the appearance.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Yes that's sounds a good bet. If I had realised where the damaged piece was going to end up I could have removed the fixing and rotated the panel - it's a middle panel/shelf below which is a magnetic catch for a lower door.

But as I was working on a piece of wood as soon as I felt the panel lift I knew I had burst through - so it's a bump rather than a hole.

I think that would look worse than leaving it as it is.

Reply to
AnthonyL

It's within an 1" of the front edge, a book or decoration at the would look out of place.

Reply to
AnthonyL

It's is pretty cheap though not splintery and I've only just broken through - it's not a full hole.

Well in theory I could disassemble and rotate the damaged part and refix the fitting (magnetic catches) with the right screws. But I'd probably damage something else in the process. And it is a low bookshelf. It's one of those Ikea type (not Ikea) kits with the rotating lugs, dowels and pre-drilled holes.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Have you tried just tapping it flat with a hammer?

Reply to
GB

I've got books which come out to within 1" of the edge.

Or bookshelf edge labels could be used. They were discussed here recently.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

SWIMBO doesn't permit it!

Reply to
AnthonyL

Not yet. I'm awaiting the gurus views from here lest someone says "whatever you do don't hit it flat with a hammer".

Reply to
AnthonyL

What colour is it ? If its white Tippex will hide it. Otherwise you can try vatrious colours of felt tip pen.

Ney of Coventry sell a variety of these to match different colours of laminate.

Though trade only they may sell you just one in the colour you want.

Reply to
fred