Subject Author Posted Replies

BT NTE5 Lower fixing screws
Bugger, Put mine somewhere safe while I re-arranged the internal phone wiring and now I can't find them. Does anyone know what type they are ?. They're smaller than the M3.5 machine screws used to fix...
5
5

Concreting: plasticiser or no plasticiser?
If I want to achieve a reasonably good flow rate with home-mixed concrete, so that it flows down into some narrow crevices easily. I seem to have two options: a) Use a litre or so more water per mixer...
8
8

Best weather resistant board for outdoors?
I need to rebuild my garages people entry small back door. I rebuilt it some 12 to 15 years ago with ply, which a local hardware supplier suggested was suitable, but now it is de-laminating and needs...
5
5

Reducing the diameter of a dowel?
Hi all, Well, it's not a dowel as such but a 1.8m long dinghy oar and I would like to reduce the diameter of the shaft from 45 to 40mm (over about 1m). I was wondering if there was any 'clever' way of...
14
14

63mm flexible conduit - where to buy?
The garage floor is being re-laid and I need to set-in a service duct so the electricity company can run cables in afterwards. They've spec'd 63mm flexible conduit, which I can only find in 50m rolls...
7
7

New builds on a floodplain and socket heights
New job. 130 new builds. The ground floor sockets are at 600mm above the floor level so that they are above the flood level. So I have to ask 1. Why not build the houses on a 600mm foundation above...
53
53

Nice tools
NT
3
3

OT: It's Been So Windy in Europe That Electricity Prices Have Turned Negative
It's Been So Windy in Europe That Electricity Prices Have Turned Negative I guess this is really more of a problem of lack of storage capacity than two much generation though.
2
2

Using benzalkonium chloride to kill mildew on silicone
I used to use bleach to try to remove mildew spots from the silicone around the bath and shower tray. I've recently started using benzalkonium chloride to kill algae on the patio, and it works really...
8
8

Mortaring old garden wall
I want to patch up a short stretch of old brick garden wall as there are large amounts of mortar missing. Not too bothered about look of it as we are putting up a new shed by it. Can anyone recommend...
8
8

Home burglar alarm - wireless, text
I always understood that an internal sounder was good if it made it uncomfortable for the average scroat to stay in the house. We have a four core sound bomb, and that is pretty unbearable.
29
29

well wot a surprise
this newsgroup is very quiet today, I wonder why?
20
20

Removing paint stains from decking?
Yo, Trying to help someone ... they have previously painted their decking with something and splashed some darker coloured fence paint over that in places. Pressure washing has removed most of the...
9
9

Cat6 cable and CAT5e patch panel
I have an ethernet patch panel marked CAT5 - so what if i use it with CAT6 cable? I think CAT6 is all about tighter wound more conductive cables so what advantage to throwing away the CAT5 patch panel...
7
7

Replace syphon in concealed toilet cistern
I've got a toilet with the cistern (one of those fairly narrow, back to front, black ones, Plumb Centre I think) concealed behind a tiled partition. Needless to say the builder, 20 years or so ago,...
5
5