Concreting: plasticiser or no plasticiser?

If I want to achieve a reasonably good flow rate with home-mixed concrete, so that it flows down into some narrow crevices easily. I seem to have two options:

a) Use a litre or so more water per mixer load, to make the mix more runny. or b) Use a relatively tiny amount of plasticiser to make the mix more runny.

I'm finding conflicting advice on the pros vs cons of using plasticiser in concrete. On one hand, some say it increases the strength of concrete becau se it enables the use of less water. Others say that plasticiser reduces th e strength of concrete!

I bought a bottle of Bostic mortar plasticiser, but was dismayed to read in the small print that it should not be used in "load-bearing" concrete! (I thought almost all concrete ends up being load-bearing!) Although, in my ca se, it's not going to be bearing much load - only a course or two of 9" x 9 " x 18" concrete blocks

One of you suggested that plasticised should be avoided because it inhibits water from leeching to the surface during the settling process. But couldn 't this simply be because less water is present in the mix?

Any insights or clarifications on this? I googled it, and found very little evidence to convince me one way or the other. Most of the information onli ne seems to be from companies selling plasticiser and is therefore possibly biased. I was hoping to find some actual test results.

It's not really a life-or-death situation, in my case - I'm just interested in knowing the truth!

Thank you!

Al

Reply to
Al-W

, so that it flows down into some narrow crevices easily. I seem to have tw o options:

n concrete. On one hand, some say it increases the strength of concrete bec ause it enables the use of less water. Others say that plasticiser reduces the strength of concrete!

in the small print that it should not be used in "load-bearing" concrete! ( I thought almost all concrete ends up being load-bearing!) Although, in my case, it's not going to be bearing much load - only a course or two of 9" x 9" x 18" concrete blocks

ts water from leeching to the surface during the settling process. But coul dn't this simply be because less water is present in the mix?

le evidence to convince me one way or the other. Most of the information on line seems to be from companies selling plasticiser and is therefore possib ly biased. I was hoping to find some actual test results.

ed in knowing the truth!

Why does it matter?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Resisting the temptation to say "The truth? You can't handle the truth!"

my guess would be that plasticiser is the better way to go from the strength viewpoint.

Reply to
newshound

[...]

sted in knowing the truth!

Thanks! I 'guessed' the same, actually. Whether that guess is correct, I'm not sure.

Al

Reply to
Al-W

Nothing matters, whatever you do do not bother furthering your knowledge or learning anything lets just stay in blissful ignorance.

Reply to
FMurtz

[...]

ested in knowing the truth!

Some things on here just get too trivial.

Reply to
tabbypurr

You should not ad plasticiser to concrete. Plasticiser is a wetting agent and it also introduces air bubbles into the mix - making it easier to trowel .... any air in concrete is weakness

Reply to
rick

My first wife's dad, who was what they called a 'jobber', used to pour a small bit of wood glue into the mix for any small jobs. No idea if it made any difference, or if it was out of habit.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

[...]

It makes the wet mix thicker & stickier, helps it not fall out of place. Wh en set it adds strength.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr