Concreting in a gatepost.

If one is setting a wooden gatepost in concrete should one have a bed of concrete underneath the post to keep water out, or should one have it on shingle underneath to let water out?

--

Roger Hayter

On 21/05/2020 16:25, Roger Hayter wrote:

Doesn't matter. Posts always rot off at ground level where they are damp and there is lots of oxygen.
Andy
Vir Campestris pretended :

Finish the concrete slightly above the ground level and fluanch it so water runs away from the post.
On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:50:45 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

+1
I've had posts last 20 years by doing that. Then I moved house, so for all I know they're still OK.
--

Chris

... and concreting them in usually makes that worse. Set them in gravel, i.e. well drained, and they will last longer.
--
Chris Green
·

Thanks, everyone, fo useful comments. I am using a 6" X 6" post that has been buried in well-drained earth for at least 16 years without detectable softening. If it fails, it fails. And I shall probably substitute a 5" square one to save money.
--

Roger Hayter

On Friday, 22 May 2020 00:31:09 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:

A new post won't last two minutes unless you give it a good soaking in a decent wood preserver these days. The preserver they use now is crap.
On Thu, 21 May 2020 23:45:13 -0700 (PDT), harry

and most probably it's only sprayed over the surface, not pressure treated.
--

Chris