Concreting in a gatepost.

If one is setting a wooden gatepost in concrete should one have a bed of
concrete underneath the post to keep water out, or should one have it on
shingle underneath to let water out?
Reply to
Roger Hayter
... and concreting them in usually makes that worse. Set them in gravel, i.e. well drained, and they will last longer.
Reply to
Chris Green
Thanks, everyone, fo useful comments. I am using a 6" X 6" post that has been buried in well-drained earth for at least 16 years without detectable softening. If it fails, it fails. And I shall probably substitute a 5" square one to save money.
Reply to
Roger Hayter
A new post won't last two minutes unless you give it a good soaking in a decent wood preserver these days. The preserver they use now is crap.
Reply to
harry

Site Timeline Threads