Concreting in a gatepost.

Yep. Concrete in galvanised post bases are indicated. ideally the bolt up type so you can easily change the posts as necessary...

BIC do a range ...

Reply to
Jimk

If one is setting a wooden gatepost in concrete should one have a bed of concrete underneath the post to keep water out, or should one have it on shingle underneath to let water out?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Doesn't matter. Posts always rot off at ground level where they are damp and there is lots of oxygen.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Vir Campestris pretended :

Finish the concrete slightly above the ground level and fluanch it so water runs away from the post.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

+1

I've had posts last 20 years by doing that. Then I moved house, so for all I know they're still OK.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

... and concreting them in usually makes that worse. Set them in gravel, i.e. well drained, and they will last longer.

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks, everyone, fo useful comments. I am using a 6" X 6" post that has been buried in well-drained earth for at least 16 years without detectable softening. If it fails, it fails. And I shall probably substitute a 5" square one to save money.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

A new post won't last two minutes unless you give it a good soaking in a decent wood preserver these days. The preserver they use now is crap.

Reply to
harry

and most probably it's only sprayed over the surface, not pressure treated.

Reply to
Chris Hogg