Subject Author Posted Replies

Thermostatic radiator valves
I may be having my regular open vented boiler soon replaced (see my earlier thread). I have several thermostatic valves, which I bought some 10 years ago with the intention of fitting them, when we...
9
9

OT: Windows update 2952664 - Compatibility checks
Update 2952664 seems to have re-surfaced, having done the rounds some time ago. The info from microsoft states :- "This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the...
19
19

OT: What to do when you're going to die
If you knew with absolute certainty that you were going to die in 48 hours, what would you do? For example you could drive around and kill as many annoying folk as possible. Cyclists with silly little...
26
26

Thermostatic shower - what??
According to Ebay I can buy a thermostatic mixer bar shower from about ? ?5 upward. I find that hard to believe. What's going on there? A friend needs a new one, contract quality. Recommendations or...
2
2

Boiler recommendations please?
I have decided my Ideal Icos HE18 is beyond sensible repair cost, I have chucked enough at it, so I am looking now for a replacement... It needs to be a regular, vented system type boiler, but if...
24
24

OT - Earth Hour 20:30 - 21:30 local time 24th March - power off
I noticed this in an on line newspaper. A couple of things occurred to me. Firstly, if a significant number of people (by significant I mean in the millions) turn off all electrical devices for an...
9
9

Glue
Why don't screwfix, toolsatan etc. sell the glues that some food manufactures use on their packaging and require an angle grinder to gain access?
2
2

Cottage electrical problem
Volex Unit looks fine but no upstairs sockets are working.
8
8

Removing exterior paint splashes from brickwork
Hi Has anyone had success removing excess paint splashes from brick work without causing too much damage to the bricks? If yes, how did you do it? Thanks, Clive
6
6

Well that pot hole has been fixed then
FFS That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago. If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that...
20
20

Dual colour power LEDs on PCs
I've replaced the motherboard in a PC with a small SBC which has an intel 9-pin front panel connector[1] rather than just a bunch of header pins for LEDs and switches like a normal motherboard, the...
21
21

I must have a ghost in the house
Just woken up to a buzzing sound (ooh err) and it turns out my hair cutters have just turned themselves on. They were on charge and a bit hot when I unplugged them. Nothing looks melted but I can...
13
13

Soldering iron flex
I've got a 25W Antex iron with, on the recommendations of those here, the silicone cable. A lot nicer to use than the standard flex I've always had before but, in the 18/24 months I've had it, I've...
66
66

OT: glyphosate
I'm seeing on twitter that Bayer has bought Monsanto, and that as a result Germany has suddenly decided that glyphosate is good for us instead of being evil.
13
13

One nuisance caller got through - BT8500
This morning the very first ever nuisance caller managed to get himself through the caller filter, in the two years since I installed them. Obviously from the Indian sub-continent asking about my...
16
16