Water level in Car

I topped up daughter's Fiat 500 with some antifreeze (a few weeks ago the level was lot - and I tipped up with water so I was keen to get some concentrate in) I ended up brimming it. Will it matter? Does it need some air space? Should I syphon some out to bring it down to the max mark? Or will it sort itself out?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The water will expand, but the tank must have an overflow. Even a Fiat! :)

Reply to
GB

It just gurgles out when it needs to.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes fiats have an overflow. It might turn the bits of the car it runs down a funny colour though!

Greeny yuck comes to mind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There should be a MAX and MIN mark on the reservoir.

If you fill to the brim, the excess will blow out through the overflow, but when the engine cools the hoses will contract a bit as the water shrinks, whereas if you fill to the correct level when cold, the hoses will be at their correct diameter. Not sure if this additional flexing shortens their lives.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com wrote in news:q2nbl9$a1e$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Have sucked some out - now at the Max mark when cold.

Reply to
DerbyBorn