What is the British english name for a 'trencher'?

I assume we must have a different name for these over here as I can't find any for sale here. So what do we call what the americans call a 'trencher' - that's a thing for digging a trench. (I don't mean a backhoe, I mean a simpler device specifcally for trenches)

Reply to
Chris Green

Entrenching tool.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

A picture of what you're looking for would help. When I google for images of an American Trencher, a whole range of tools come up.

But here are some possibilities that look like the most common ones:

Or perhaps one of these, variously known as a mattock or grub-axe.

Chris Hogg

I have a 'trenching spade". Bought many years ago, quite narrow - long handle.

Reply to
charles

Trencher?

At least it was when I worked for British gas at the ERS.

soup

If you were to describe it in detail, we might know what to call it - size, shape, electric/engine/manual.

Wikipedia has

with pictures.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Mattock.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mattock. Those of us lucky enough to have had an Adventure Playground near us that we could muck about it, dig tunnels, build fires, and be issued with dangerous tools like mattocks without supervision, will remember them well.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, after much searching I have come to the conclusion that we also call it a trencher, it's just that they're not so popular over here.

I'm looking (maybe) for one to hang on my tractor.

Reply to
Chris Green

etc

Makes a change from

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I assumed he meant one of these.

Steven

Polish or Latvian?

Reply to
ARW

In article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Steven snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I have a thing called a trench spade. Just a longer narrow spade blade. Helpful with post holes.

Reply to
bert

In article <270120191617518409% snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net writes

Extremely useful all round tool. Maximum havoc minimum time and effort.

Reply to
bert

Not something you use on tractor.

One of these works a lot better

Steven

blimey, waffle waffle about hand tools when it has been obvious from the first post he was talking about those chain trenching machines similar to the ones made by the brand name ditch witch, and you can get ones to hang off a tractor.

Reply to
FMurtz

I was going to suggest a bloke from Eastern Europe who digs it manually. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

:-), correct, but I wasn't particularly explicit in my original posting. It's all been fairly sensible.

It looks as if it may make sense for me to hire a 'pedestrian' trench digging machine as they don't cost all that much for a day or two and it is really only a one-off requirement.

Reply to
Chris Green

Trencher is a british english name for a serving board..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher